18: Scarlett

"Try it again." My mother coaxed.

I sighed frustratedly, and again tried to picture a new rune in my head. We had all been in Alicante for about a day and there had been no news on Benjamin. Currently, I was in the living room of my house in Idris with my mother and Austin. They were trying to teach me how to use my powers.

"I can't just make up new runes randomly." I said annoyedly.

"What about a portal?" Austin suggested. "That was the first thing I learned."

"Try it." My mother encouraged.

I closed my eyes, and cleared my mind. I then pictured a portal in my mind. With my stele in hand, I walked over to a wall. I waited for the picture to come to my mind, but it wouldn't. I sighed and open my eyes.

"I can't do it." I sighed.

"That's alright, Honey." My mother said. "It's not easy."

I only sighed and my mother went up to Paris's room where she was taking a nap. Only Austin and I were left in the room.

"How did you do this?" I groaned.

He smiled. "It's not as hard as you think. It just requires a lot of practice, and it's easier when you're young."

I sighed. "I'll never be able to do it."

"You will." Austin encouraged. "It just doesn't come to you randomly. You have to really want and need the rune."

I put down my stele, and then suddenly my mother rushed back into the living room in a flurry. She was holding Paris, and my father was right behind her.

"There's a Clave meeting! I just found out now, we're going to be late!" She exclaimed.

"Where's Logan?" I asked, as my father bustled us out the door.

"He's already there. He was with Will and Max." My father replied.

We all hurried to the council room, and hustled in. Everyone was already there and sitting, and we all took our seats sigh everyone else. Alexa shot me a smile, and I smiled back. I sat beside Logan, and much to my dismay, Blake. He was smirking at me and I rolled my eyes at him.

"What do you want?" I said coldly.

"Nothing." He said casually. "I was just wondering if you wanted to go out this Saturday?"

I burst out laughing. "With you? No way."

"Why not?" Blake raised an eyebrow.

"Because I don't like you, and I'm already busy that day." I said.

"With what?" He narrowed his eyes.

"I'm already going out with Will." I randomly blurted out.

"You are?" He was wide-eyed.

"Yup." I lied.

Blake then glared at Will, who looked throughly confused. He turned his head forward and did not speak to me. I was already occupied with something else. Why had I said that?! Now I had to actually go out with Will on Saturday. A part of me felt giddy, but I knew I shouldn't be. Ugh, how was I going to explain this to him?

"Good Afternoon, Shadowhunters." Consul Penhallow started. "As you all know you've been called to Idris because a group of Werewolf-Vampires, hybrids we're calling them, have been attacking our New York Shadowhunters. Yesterday night, fifteen year old Victoria Highsmith was attacked in Miami, which leads us to believe that the Hybrids are located all over the world. Miss Highsmith did not make it."

A gasp went throughout the room. I felt myself shocked. It wasn't everyday that a such a young Shadowhunter died.

"Because of this," Jia continued. "We have called every Shadowhunter to Alicante."

"What about the mundanes? Who will protect them?" A Shadowhunter called out.

Jia bit her lip. "We cannot worry about the mundanes, right now. We must protect ourselves so that we can protect the mundanes in future."

"Are the Faeries allied with the Hybrids?" Someone called.

"Yes." Jia said. "This morning we received a letter from the Seelie Queen, stating that we let them back into the Accords, or else they would have the Hybrids attack us."

A murmur ran through the crowd.

"Do you think they mean it?" I whispered to Logan.

He looked worried. "I hope not."

"What are we supposed to do here then?" A Shadowhunter asked.

"Nothing yet. We will be updating you all about the Hybrids whereabouts. We are not sure when you all will be able to return home, yet." Jia said. "The meeting is dismissed."

We all then walked outside of the Council room, where all of the past Consul's portraits were hung. Aunt Tessa and Uncle Jem were looking at Charlotte Fairchild's, smiling sadly. Alexa sidled up next to me, looking distressed.

"I can't believe the Faeries are in on this, too." She frowned.

"I know." I frowned. "The mundanes have no one protecting them."

"I know right! I mean, we're Shadowhunters we shouldn't be running here to Idris as soon as something for wrong. We should be fighting." Alexa said fiercely, and I nodded my head.

Just then, Will walked up to me and Alexa. He was wearing jeans and a black hoodie, and I tried not to stare.

"Hey, Blake won't stop glaring at me. Do you know why?" He asked amusedly.

Oh no. "Um yeah. He asked me out on Saturday and I said no because I was busy and then he asked what I was doing and I said I was already going out with you that day." I said quickly.

Will was looking at me amusedly, but Alexa was smirking at me. I shot daggers at her.

"Ah." Said Will. "Well, am I obligated to take you out on Saturday, then?" He smiled.

"N-not if you don't want to." I stuttered.

He chuckled. "I'll pick you up at seven."

He then walked away to Max, and I stared after him. Had that just happened? Was I actually going on a date with Will?

"By. The. Angel." Alexa started. "You're going on a date with him!"

"I am!" I gushed. "By the Angel, what should I wear?!"

Alexa then got a excitedly glint in her eyes, and I knew that it had been the wrong thing to say. She grabbed my hand.

"Let's go shopping!" She squealed.

She grabbed my hand an dragged me seats. I chuckled, this was going to be a long day.

* * *

Author's note:

Yes I stole "Hybrid" from "The Vampire Diaries". I couldn't think of anything else to call them, so I just decided to use that name. I hope you all don't mind!