Chapter 14

~{Chapter 14}~

Matt does not answer and just stares at me like I am a ghost. I pick up his small dog and stand in front of him, waiting for him to say something.

"Kate, what are you doing here?" Matt asks all of a sudden.

I hesitate. "That's what I want to talk to you about."

He slips his sunglasses on as a few people pass by us. He picks my purse up and gestures for me to follow him. I follow him to his house where I had been going for the past few days to find him.

We reach his house, and he unlocks the door and holds the door open for me. I step inside and gently put his dog on the floor. Matt sets my purse on his couch as he slips his sunglasses off and takes the leash off his dog. His dog immediately runs off.

"Do you want me to take your coat?" he asks.

I shake my head as I take my coat off. "I'll just set it on top of my bag."

He nods and sits down on a chair beside the couch. I sit down on the couch and awkwardly try to think of something to say to him.

"What are you doing here? How did you find the park?" he finally asks.

I sigh. "Your father gave your address to me. He came to town, and he told me that you seem different."

Matt gives me a hard look. "So that's the only reason why you're here. You came at the request of my dad, and you want to fix me. Well, guess what? I don't need fixing."

He stands up and begins to pace around.

"That's not why I'm here. It's not what you think," I say.

He stares at me and harshly says, "How am I supposed to know what to think when you're still wearing that ring? How am I supposed to know what to think when you randomly show up without an explanation?"

My face heats up, and I stand up. "If you would let me speak, you might get a chance to hear why I'm here! Then again, you're the one who left and let what happened ruin our friendship."

"You're the one who said no without an explanation," he says, his face growing redder by the second.

"I didn't run away."

His face turns red. "I didn't cheat on someone. I didn't lead anyone on."

I become very angry. "I never cheated on anyone, and I never led anyone on! Matt, you're heartless. I came to explain everything to you, and I'm being accused of cheating and being a jerk!"

I pick my purse and coat up before hurrying to the door and quickly walking out and back to my hotel. I hoped he would run after me, but he did not. I wipe away a couple of tears before forcing myself to stop.

When I get to the hotel, I lie down on the bed and turn the TV on. I mindlessly watch and read.

I am angry. How dare he accuse me of cheating and leading him on! I was trying to make peace with him, and he blamed me for things I never did. I wanted to have his friendship back again, but it does not look like I can. I sigh and close my eyes for a second.

Knock, knock.

My eyes fly open, and I get off the bed. I smooth my hair in the mirror before opening the door. I swing the door open and am greeted with a distressed looking Matt.

I take a deep breath and ask, "What?"

"Listen," he starts, "I know you probably hate me and never want to speak to me again, but I'm here to apologize for what I said earlier. What I said was uncalled for and a horrible thing to say. You have no idea how guilty I've been feeling. I'm extremely sorry."