Chapter 5

~{Chapter 5}~

Ring! Ring!

I groan at the sound of my phone and roll over to grab it off of my nightstand.

"Hello?" I ask groggily.

"Ms. Garner? I am calling to tell you that I will be in South Hart in the next few days," Mr. Parker's voice says.

I nod and then realize he can not see me nodding my head. "I'll be ready."

"Good. Well, see you in a few days," he says right before ending the call.

I put the phone back on the nightstand and snuggle back under my covers. I try hard to go back to sleep, but I fail miserably. After trying for about fifteen minutes, I sigh in defeat and get out of bed. I head to the bathroom to get in the shower. I slip under the water and feel the memories flood back.

It had been two days since that flashback in the field. After that flashback, I had jumped up from my spot and hurriedly picked up all of my things. I had rushed back to my room and avoided Mrs. Parker. I had thrown my things in a corner in my room and had rushed to the bathroom to take a warm bath. That was a bad idea.

While I had sat in the warm water, more and more memories had come back. I had grabbed a towel and stuffed my face in it to scream. I finally let go of the towel and sat back in the tub with tears streaming down my face. I had hiccupped and wailed like a baby until the water turned cold. I had then jumped out of the tub and dried myself off. I had hurriedly put on my sleeping shirt and gotten in bed.

The tears came back once again. I had finally leaned back against the headboard and stared at the ceiling. The tears had kept flowing. The purpose in coming to South Hart was for me to escape the sorrow. I had forgotten that South Hart had been where it all began. I forgot that I had just as many memories here as New York City.

Two days later, I was still drowning in self-pity. I had slept the days away and barely gotten out of bed to eat something. I would never have come back if I knew it was going to be this hard. I still felt all the pain. I thought this move would have solved some of it, but I guess I was wrong.

Knock. Knock.

I groan and hurry to my door. I open it to Beth's worried face.

"Kate? Are you alright?" she asks.

"What does it look like?" I ask her with a hint of sarcasm.

She rolls her eyes and gently pushes me out of the way so she can come in. "Kate, I haven't seen you in two days. South Hart is tiny. What's going on?"

I close the door and do not answer her. I head back into the bathroom. She follows me. As I go into the bathroom, she is still behind me.

"A little privacy please," I tell her as I turn to face her.

She crosses her arms and shakes her head. "Kate, I know you. You know me. You know that I am not going to leave you alone until you tell me what's wrong. I care and you know that. Why can't you tell me what's bothering you?"

I sigh and walk over to my bed and sit down. She sits down next to me and waits.

I pause before saying, "I went to the field two days ago."

I hear her catch her breath. "Did you take Bella's?"

I nod. She pulls me into a hug and tries to comfort me. I pull out of her embrace and wipe my watery eyes.

"I just thought this would be easier. I hate this feeling I get every time I do something that reminds me of him. Why did this happen to me?" I say with a hint of anger.