Chapter 7

~{Chapter 7}~

Beep, beep! Beep, beep!

I roll over and turn my alarm off. I slip my robe on and walk over to my bedroom window. I'm greeted with the rising sun. It has been six and a half months since that day, and I am now in my new master bedroom. Due to rain and a few tornadoes, my house and the office had gone through a few setbacks.

I had moved into my house just yesterday. It is truly a beautiful home. It has four large bedrooms, my dream kitchen, my own home office, and so many other things. It is almost fully furnished. I just have to ship the rest of my things from New York City.

Today was going to be my first day at the new office. I walk into my huge walk-in closet and pick my outfit. I pick a red silk blouse and a black pencil skirt. I hurry to my bathroom and start doing my hair and makeup after I get dressed.

Ding, dong!

I finish the last curl before unplugging my curling iron and hurrying down to get the door. I almost fall down the stairs. I stop to look at myself in the hallway mirror and smooth my hair. I turn the knob and open the door to Mr. Parker.

I smile at him and say, "It's good to see you Mr. Parker. Won't you come in?"

He laughs at my formality and says, "I would love to."

I open the door wider for him to come in and lead him to my office. Once we get in there, I sit on top of my brand new desk and wait for him to speak.

"I'm glad to see that you are already enjoying your home. Well, I have to get back to New York City today. I have been here for a month, and I don't think I can stay any longer. My wife and I are about to celebrate our anniversary, and she'd skin me alive if I wasn't there to celebrate. Plus, I know how capable you are. I give you full control of this branch," he tells me.

I smile when he mentions his wife. At the end of his speech, I nod and say, "Thank you very much for entrusting me. I promise I won't let you down."

He smiles at me as I brush a curl out of my face. "Still wearing your ring?"

I'm a little surprised at his question but quietly reply with, "Yes. I can't let him go this soon. It's only been about eight months. Eight months isn't enough time to heal a broken heart."

He gives me a comforting smile and says, "I wish you the best, Kate. I also pray that you will be able to become happy again. I need to go now, but I, again, wish you the best."

He shakes my hand before turning and leaving. I sigh and stay still on my desk. I look around the room and feel the feelings of sadness coming back. I look down at my left hand and stare at my ring. I would never have guessed that something so beautiful would have brought me so much sadness.

I go back up to my room and grab my purse and laptop bag. I go back downstairs and to my garage. I bought a car. I knew that I would need to travel around, and I did not want to have to rent a car every time I had to go somewhere for business. As I pull out of the garage, my thoughts go back to the burden that I am still carrying.

I was right about eight months not being long enough to heal a broken heart, but I was not sure if my heart would ever heal. The feeling I got when I was with him was something that I do not think can ever come back. He made me feel special and beautiful. The fact that I was messed up did not make him stop pursuing me. I think it made him pursue me more. I wish I could say his name, but I think it would just take me back to the memories that used to be so happy. Those memories now bring me sadness.

I pull into the new office parking lot and hop out of my car. I hurry inside the office without making eye contact with anyone. I greet the new receptionist before going back to my office. I set my bags on my desk and look out my window. I get a view of a few newly planted trees. I sigh and sit down at my desk. I open my computer and start working.