9

He drifted on, alone. Alone, alone. The stars winked down, almost mocking him. He didn't know how long he had been out at sea; it could have been weeks, days, hours... He didn't know. His food was almost gone. He would be dead soon. Chuck was right. Chuck was right all along. Why couldn't he just die already? His life seemed short and insignificant now. Why couldn't he just die?

*

Castiel woke to the ocean gently tugging at his feet. He was laying half in the water and half on the beach of some unknown island.

Feeling as if he had been run over by an eighteen-wheeler, he slowly and stiffly got to his feet. He let out a groan of pain and looked down. His wet suit was torn and grimy. Sand covered every inch of him and it was even in his unmentionable areas. A gash on his arm was bleeding profusely with no signs of stopping. His neck hurt as though he had  slept on it wrong for a thousand years.

Where was he? What should he do now? His first priority, he realized, was the large gash on his arm. Walking around the beach of the island, Cas found lots of tide pools. Cas had never had to dress a wound like this, no supplies, no handsanitizer... Cas shivered at the thought of dirty hands cleaning a dirty wound... That could lead to infection, and as everyone knew, infection could lead to death.

Kneeling down at the base of a tide pool, he stuck his fingers in the water, gingerly testing it out. It was warm and pleasant, unlike the surrounding ocean. Taking his good hand, he cupped it around the water and brought it up to his wound. Gently, so he wouldn't hurt himself, he washed the blood away from his arm. It hurt. It hurt a lot. Cas moaned in pain. His legs had become unsteady and he fell to his knees. The warm sand was not inviting. It hurt and irritated his skin.

Plucking up his courage, Cas once again dipped his hand in the pool and gently scrubbed the injury.

"Ow! Ugh..." Cas buried his face in his hands, trying not to cry out.

"Help..." He moaned. "Someone... Please help me!"

"All you had to say was please!" came a deep, cheerful voice.