5

Cas walked out to his boat in his wet suit, fighting the strong wind the entire way. He had a small pack with him containing jeans, a fuzzy sweatshirt, and a pair of heavy work boots to change into later.

Hefting his bag into the rusty boat, Cas quickly climbed into after it. Hastily he readied the boat and set off on his plotted course. The sun was quickly setting, and dusk settled around him. Cas had found after years of fishing that the best time to fish was at night. He plowed on through the waves, never looking back.

Soon it was pitch black, and the stars shone dimly above. A thin veil of clouds covered the sky and made it difficult to see. Surely he was far enough out...

Cas acted quickly, dropping a huge net down the side of the boat and then casting a line off to the other side. All he had to do now was wait.

He must have been dozing off, because he could swear he could hear someone singing "Cherry Pie" in the distance.

Suddenly there was a huge tug on the boat. The net was straining against the pieces that held it to the boat. Frantically, Cas tried to reel in the net, but what ever was caught in it put up a great fight. The boat tipped precariously to the side, threatening to tip over and plunge him into the icy waters below.

Working quickly, he sliced the net away from the boat and attempted to tug it in one last time. Whatever was in the net was freed due to the slack in the net. Using all the strength in his lean body, Cas yanked the net over the side of the boat, falling backwards in the process.

Lying there sprawled on the wet, smelly deck, a wave of disappointment hit him. He wanted to know what had temporarily been caught in his net. Sitting up quickly, he fumbled his way over to the net in the dark. Using his phone's flashlight, he searched through the net hoping to find a sign of what was in it.

Bites on the net indicated sharks, small minnows indicate bigger fish coming to prey on them, and so on.

Soon he spotted a huge, glittering scale about the size of his fist. Sitting back on his heels, he observed the scale with interest. It was a shimmering green color that shone as though the sun was shining down on it. It seemed to almost... Glow.

Castiel gasped and dropped the scale then scurried away from it. What had this come from? He had to know. He had been so close to getting it! He could feel obsession taking over. He had to know.