Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

The room is quiet as Bella looks between Zayn and Liam carefully, before shaking her head, "you forgot Grandma Karen, and Auntie Ruth" she scolds and Zayn laughs, "yes you have them too" he chuckles. Bella bites her bottom lip and nods "mummy not want Bella?" she asks and Zayn sighs, shaking his head, "no, she didn't" he says carefully deciding the truth is his best course of action, "but that's okay, because Baba, does want you, and so does Daddy, so that's even better than having her" he explains, his voice turning icy towards the end. Zayn's never resented someone more than he does Bella's mum right now, she's unknowingly hurting his little girl and Zayn can't stand for that. Bella pouts, and hugs Zayn tightly, "love Baba" she sighs, before wriggling away from Zayn and into Liam's lap, Liam smiles and wraps his arms around her, "you alright, love?" he asks. Bella nods and snuggles into him "love Daddy too" she says. Zayn grins and watches as Liam wraps his arms a little tighter and drops a kiss to her hair, "love you" he murmurs, and Zayn thinks maybe his dreams of having a complete family are finally coming true.

A gentle knock on the door makes Zayn and Liam both look towards it to see Ruth standing there with Ethan, "everything okay?" she asks quietly. Zayn nods, "yeah, I think we've got it sorted out" he explains, Ruth nods, but Liam shakes his head, "It was Mason" he says. Zayn's jaw drops as Liam tattles on his nephew, and Ruth's eyes widen, "what did he do?" she asks carefully. Bella whimpers and snuggles further into Liam, who Zayn notices is trying to stay calm, "he was teasing her about not having a mum" he explains quietly, Zayn grins when he sees Liam put his hands over Bella's ears as he does, to not upset her again. Ruth groans and Ethan's eyes widen as he comes into the room to sit beside his uncle and Bella. Zayn watches as the nine year old reaches out to card his fingers through Bella's hair, leaning down to mumble something Zayn doesn't hear, but he's grateful for whatever it is because it makes her giggle. "I'm so sorry Zayn, I'll have a talk with Mason, I don't know what's gotten into him" Ruth sighs. Zayn shrugs, "it's alright, I mean it's not okay, that she's upset but I understand he's just a kid. And maybe he was just curious about where her mum is, not trying to be mean?" Zayn asks slowly. Ruth nods slowly, "I don't know, but I'll find out" she answers and Zayn nods, because he's upset that Bella's upset but he also knows Mason is only four and may not have meant to hurt her.

"Are you staying for breakfast Uncle Zayn, Mum's making her famous pancakes" Ethan asks suddenly and Zayn's head whips around to face him, a little shocked at what he's just called him. Zayn looks at Liam who looks just as surprised, but there's a happy grin on his lips, as Bella bounces in his lap, and pulls on Ethan's arm. "I, um yeah I mean I guess we could stay, what do you think Li?" he stumbles. Liam grins and reaches around Bella to ruffle Ethan's hair much to the nine year old's protest, "yeah, I wouldn't miss out on your mum's pancakes" he teases. Ethan nods and lets Bella climb into his lap, "is that okay?" he asks slowly, and Zayn frowns, before he nods his head, "of course it is, I was just surprised, is all" he explains. Ethan nods slowly and Zayn smiles at the boy, "I mean you make Uncle Liam so happy, and I know that you two are kind of like Mum and Dad. And with this one calling Mum, Auntie, I just kind of thought..." Ethan trails off, bouncing Bella lightly in his lap. Zayn watches him for a moment, he really is mature for a nine year old, "that's completely fine bud" he says and Ethan grins, as Bella tugs on his shirt, "Ethan?" she asks and he looks down at her "we play?" she asks shyly, and he grins nodding, "sure thing, what do you want to play?" he asks as Bella climbs out of his lap and he stands up as well. Zayn watches as his daughter follows Ethan out of the room and grins, just as Liam wraps his arms around him from behind "you okay?" he asks. Zayn sighs and nods, "yeah. But I think it's time I tell you the whole story about Bella's mum" he mumbles. Liam laughs, pressing a kiss to Zayn's neck, "only if you want to love" he murmurs, and Zayn sighs because he doesn't want to, never wants to think about it again, but he knows he has to, that he should. Because Liam deserves to know, and there may come a day where Liam's around and Zayn's unavailable and he needs to answer Bella's questions.