This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Tony (Avengers x reader)

Start from the beginning

"I won't."

"Nat, get Banner out of here!" you yelled over the crashing and shooting. The doctor had control of the "other guy" since the attack on New York, but in this situation you certainly didn't feel like trusting that short-lived record. He was good, but largely untested. Finally, there was only one legionnaire remaining.

"Cap!"

The shield flew across the room to Steve, impressing you with both Clint's aim and Steve's speed. You dropped to a knee in front of Steve as he threw the shield over your head, hitting the robot square, ending the battle as suddenly as it began.

"That was dramatic." Oh, how that voice carried terror.

Steve was quickly at your side, panting and wide-eyed as he looked at you, checking for injuries. You gently placed your hand on his, and a sense of calm washed over him. This threat was new and different. It felt more ominous, more destructive. It felt personal and you were scared.

"There's only one path to peace. The Avenger's extinction."

Dammit, Tony. It was a good party, too.

Part 2

"Wakanada? Wa-Wakanda."

Tony and Steve shared a telling glance at each other, silently agreeing that this was going to be ugly. "I thought your father said he got the last of it?"

Bruce echoed the team's obvious confusion and asked, "What comes out of Wakanda?"

"The strongest metal on Earth."

~~~

"Alright, team, this is how we're going to do it. We need to get in, find out if Ultron has made contact to get the Vibranium, remove it if we can, and get out as quickly as possible. With Ultron everywhere in the net, he's going to know we're coming soon enough. The two enhanced are likely to be there. We don't know their full abilities yet, but we do know that the witch will try to get into our heads. (Y/N), you will stay in the Quinjet with Banner. We need you to keep in contact if you sense anything that could be trouble, but the most important is to keep Banner level."

Bruce looked at Steve, trying to not feel embarrassed at the idea that he needs a babysitter. Steve quickly picked up on it. "Doctor Banner, it's not that we don't trust you. We do. You have worked hard to control the Hulk, and it's impressive to all of us. But the truth is, we don't know what this new threat can do, and in this situation you may be the most vulnerable. We just don't know."

"Then I should stay here." Bruce looked tired. Keeping control really drained him, no matter how skilled he had become. You could feel it every time you were near him, and you couldn't help but be sympathetic. It was much the same for you. Being inundated with the emotions of everyone around you could be exhausting, and when you tried to block them it was even more tiring. The constant mental skill you needed as an empath was difficult, so you could only imagine the skill that Banner possessed. You placed your hand on his arm, giving him a sense of stability.

Steve countered, "No, we need you there if things do get out of hand in a battle. Agent (Y/L/N) will be with you the whole time. Alright team, let's go."

~~~

They had been gone too long. Something was happening and you were on edge.

"Guys? Is this a code green?" The only reply was static...then nothing.

As Bruce looked out from the Quinjet you dropped to your knees. Wave after wave of emotions hit you, jumbled and unrelenting. Thor was confused and afraid, frustrated by images that he couldn't understand. You couldn't even sense Natasha anymore; it was as if she were a hollow shell. You knew she was alive at least, only because you didn't feel her die. Clint was angry but his usual cocky self, how he always acted in battle. You were relieved that you had watched as Tony soared away, tangled with Ultron, drawing him away from the team. However, it took all of your strength to block them so you could focus on Steve.