38-Ravenclaw Tower

Start from the beginning

Once we got to the dormitory, I released my hold, blocking the shadows only in this room. I stepped over an unconscious Padma Patil and crept inside.

"You." Dawn's eyes weren't the only things that were black. Her skin was turning a dark grey. She wasn't addressing me, but Annabeth.

"Me," Annabeth said, her voice cracking like glass.

Jason gave Percy a worried look. Percy was hyperventilating, his grip on Riptide tightening until his knuckles turned white.

"Ignorant tourists," Dawn hissed.

We stepped away as more black mist curled around her.

Annabeth's hands were shaking, but I couldn't tell if it were from anger or fear.

I tried not to listen, because I recognized Dawn's voice from my time in Tartarus.

"What have you done?" Percy's voice shook.

"Only showing these students their worst nightmares." Dawn glanced outside, "Some fainted immediately. But the strong-willed decided to stay conscious and suffer."

Thalia raised her spear, electricty crackling around it, "You'd better stop now. Or else."

Dawn spread her hands, "Attack me, and my host will be the one getting hurt."

Thalia brought her spear down, but Dawn caught it easily. The sparks in the spear disappeared, but other than shaking slightly, Dawn didn't appear to be hurt. She hurled Thalia aside, nearly throwing her into the shadows.

"Oh my gods! Look at that!" Piper yelled at Dawn, pointing frantically.

Dawn eyes moved briefly in one direction as Percy and Jason moved their swords in unison.

Percy hit her in the chest with the flat of Riptide's blade, and Jason slammed the hilt of his blade into Dawn's skull.

Dawn fell to the ground, and the black vapor instantly dispersed, retreating to places like the underside of beds, now harmless.

Now we could see Dawn was in pain. She clutched at her head, no doubt having a splitting headache. Her face had three red lines across it. Her arm was burned from electricity, and a rings of red flesh circled her right arm. She looked exhausted, and though it was moderately warm in the Tower, Dawn was shivering.

"Dawn?" Annabeth knelt down beside her. This was no doubt reminding her of Luke.

Dawn glared at her, "Go away."

Annabeth turned to Piper and Jason, "Get Madam Pomfrey and other teachers. Dawn and the other students need treatment."

They left.

I examined a broken golden bracelet on the floor while Annabeth asked Dawn, "Did you kill Lavender willingly?"

Dawn slumped down, looking depressed, "Yes, and I do not regret it."

Annabeth stopped, "Do you remember what just happened?"

"Yes," she scowled. "Nyx took possession of me."

Annabeth wasn't surprised, "When did you start hearing her talking to you?"

"The second week of term," Dawn said reluctantly, glaring resentfully at her bed. "Tuesday."

Piper was troubled, "That was after what happened to Logan. So even before Nyx, Dawn was already..." she trailed off. But her unspoken word made it to our ears anyway: Psycho.

"Get out of here!" Dawn suddenly threw a book at me, but missed. "All of you. I'm packing."

Before we could reply, Madam Pomfrey arrived. Without a word, she healed Dawn within seconds, then rushed off to help the other students.