“Hello Hawkins, beautiful afternoon isn’t it.” I called smiling. “Yes it is a lovely day out Miss. Meghan. If you are not too busy later, would you like to help me with a little project?” He asked I smiled longingly, “I wish I could, Hawkins. But I have to go to Daniel’s house tonight.” I loved any excuse to call my idiot father by his first name.

“Oh, is it that time already. You would think that your father would let you spend some more time here, giving everything that has happened. But your father was always an idiot, wasn’t he.”

“You are right Hawkins, he is an idiot. But there is no way in the name of God’s green earth that he would let me stay with mom any longer than the judge has allowed.” I muttered digging my shoe into the ground.

“Maybe he will let you stay, just until Samantha has been properly buried.”

“Yeah, maybe, but he probably won’t.” “Knowing your father, you are probably right.” Hawkins said disappearing down the stairs.

“MOM,” I shouted, “DO I HAVE TO GO TO DAD’S HOUSE THIS MONTH?”

“Meghan, how many times have I told you not to shout in the house? And yes you still have to go to your father’s house this month.”

“I don’t get it. I’m just going to be back in this town in three days. Why can’t I just stay here?” I muttered walking towards my room. I locked myself in, and practically launched my body onto the king size bed.

“I hate my father!” I screamed into one of the many pillows on my bed. I laid there for a little while, thinking about ways to get out of going to my fathers.

“You could always hide in the forest.” someone said from behind me. I turned over, and saw my sister standing in the hallway.

“Huh, what are you talking about Skie?”

“Hide in the forest, get out of going to father’s house.” she repeated rolling her eyes and walking into my room. She was looking at the corner of my room that was covered in millions of pictures, drawings, frames, and memories. Skie smiled slightly,

“I remember this day. This was the day that mother took us all on that cruise around the Caribbean. If I am recalling correctly that was the day that the divorce was finalized. Mother wanted to celebrate being quote free unquote and away from that man. But she used a different word.” I laughed, remembering the weeklong vacation, feeling the eyes of my classmates’ metaphorically burn into the back of me as I walked out of the room with all of my homework. It was January; they were going to stay in Virginia and freeze, while I got to lounge around all day drinking smoothes and tanning.

“It was so much fun walking out of my classroom and leaving this crummy town behind for a week. I loved watching their faces as the one of the secretaries’ called the room, announcing that I was leaving for the Caribbean, and that I wasn’t going to be back for a week. It was a total surprise for me; mom didn’t say anything to any of us. She just picked us all up, and we left for the port. That was the best week of my life, and it was amazingly calm, even with Connor being all crazy.” by this time, we were both laughing.

“Whoa, did I miss something funny. Or are you two laughing at my expense?” Connor asked walking in and sitting on my bed next to me.

“We were talking about the cruise that mom took us on when we were little.” I laughed looking at him. Connor began to laugh too.

“That was quite an adventure; I still can’t believe that mother would take us out of school like that.”

“Meghan, it’s almost four thirty, are you ready to leave yet?” mom called coming up the stairs.  

“No not yet mom, I’m just about to start.” I called as she appeared in the doorway.

“Well, hurry, Mrs. Hawkins has prepared pastries upon Skylare and Connor’s return home.” she smiled,

“Mom, how long are Skie and Connor going to be home for?” I asked, looking at my siblings.

“Through the end of July, then we leave again until thanksgiving. But we'll be here t until Christmas” Connor replied closing his eyes.

“So I’m only going to get to spend a month with them. A MONTH!” I gasped, closing my eyes, mentally cursing my father and his lawyer.

“I’m sorry Meghan, but it’s what your father and I agreed on. But you will get to see them at the wake and then at the funeral.”

“Is dad coming to the funeral?” I asked growing worried.

“Yes, your father and his new family are coming up.” She replied rolling her eyes.

“Please make them behave themselves, or I will personally make sure that they behave,” I pleaded getting up off of my bed,

“I suppose that I should get ready to sit in the back of the limo for two hours by myself with nothing to do. He better not send Xavier in that limo again. Or this time he will go to the hospital.” My mother laughed,

“and I’m not going to pay the medical bills for that boy either.” ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Soon we were all sitting at the dining room table, eating the delicious pastries that Mrs. Hawkins had made, and Skie and Connor were telling stories of life at Newman’s Boarding School.  I saw that the clock that was hung on the wall behind Skie’s head. It read five forty-five.

“Mom, dad is going to be here in fifteen minutes!” I yelped jumping up.

“Your father isn’t going to be here, his chauffeur is going to be here in fifteen minutes. Your father is probably somewhere in Mexico, probably drunk, and he is probably with that new wife of his. Most likely leaving his children in the house, with their nanny, since he is nowhere to be reached, he will hopefully not going to be at the funeral.” my mother joked, I smiled as I ran up the stairs to throw items into a bag, which happened to be my favorite penguin backpack. Mom told me that I was too old for it… but I still loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With two minutes to spare, I had grabbed a jacket, packed my bag, and was sitting on the porch in one of the old wicker chairs. I was listening to my iPod, and I looked at the time; 18:00 hours. I saw the black limo turn into the driveway.

 “He couldn’t have used a car with more class. Like the 1987 mustang or one of the older cars.” I muttered as I stood up. The limo stopped, and Michael, the driver got out to open the door for me.

“Mom, he’s here.” I called into the house, mom walked out onto the porch, and I gave her, Skie, and Connor one last hug each.

“Call me if you need anything.” Mom whispered in my ear. I smiled, and nodded my head. I slowly walked down the wide steps and I nodded to Michael, who nodded back smiling slightly. I threw my bag into the vehicle, and stepped inside. The door closed behind me, and the lights came on.

“Stupid tinted windows.” I muttered clicking my seatbelt and looked out of the dark window.

“Hello Meghan, I offer my condolences to you. For the loss of Samantha.” A voice rang out from the limo. I turned from the window and saw that my father, Daniel Mathews was sitting across from me in flesh and blood.

“Dad, why are you here.” I asked looking at him suspiciously. “I am here to pick up my daughter, like a normal father would.” he replied smiling.

“You are not a normal father.” I whispered, turning back to the window.