Chapter Twenty Six - Reunited

• Dedicated to To all my readers out there! <3

Chapter Twenty Six - Reunited

Eight months later…

The saying ‘you don’t realize what you really had until you lost it’ had been playing in Nicolette’s mind for the last couple of months. It was true. She never thought that being apart from someone you loved was so hard, and worst of all, it was even harder knowing that she never got to say the three words she had wanted to say before Devon had left.

On the bright side however, over the summer, she had managed to convince her mother to let her transfer back to her old school. Nicolette was sure that she couldn’t take any more big time dramas that she had in Silvestre Academy. So now she was back with her friends again, and Matthew who had suddenly decided to go back with her as well. For a while, she could forget some of the troubles, but something always seemed missing, and she had a fairly good clue what was. Devon.

Lillian had given Nicolette his number, but she couldn’t call back, she didn’t know where to begin if she did. So she never really talked to him since last March.

One week, near the end of December, her mother had suddenly announced that they were going to go out for a special dinner right before Christmas, and that Nicolette had to wear something fancy.

She hadn’t bothered to try to find something fancy until the very day of the dinner because she didn’t understand why she could have to wear something fancy at all. So now she was rummaging through her things lazily to see if she could find a dress to wear.

It wasn’t until her mother knocked on her room door that she had looked up.

In her hands was a beautiful blue silk dress that seemed to trail to one’s knees it they wore it.

“I thought that you may need something to wear, so I bought you this.” she said.

Nicolette stood up and walked towards her mom. “Why are you even making me do this? I mean, it’s just a dinner…”

Her mother waved her hand in the air to dismiss her comment. “It’s a special dinner,” she replied before handing the dress to her. “Oh and please do something about that hair of yours, you got to look nice!” she said, walking out of the room.

Nicolette stood there silently. Why did she have to look nice? Who was she even doing this for? It’s not like anyone else was at the dinner…Maybe her mom had a new boyfriend she wasn’t telling her about…

***

Waiting for her mom to get back from the washroom wasn’t fun, especially when people gave occasional glances at you. The restaurant that they had gone to had a rich and luxurious feeling to it. No wonder her mother wanted her to dress all fancy; they would have stood out like a sore thumb if they didn’t.

But where was her mom? It was already ten minutes…

Without warning, two hands went around Nicolette’s eyes, making her gasp while she tried to remove them.

 “Guess who?” said the deep voice behind her.

She suddenly froze; a smile begun to spread on her face. “Devon? Devon Shade?” she asked curiously.

Within a flash, he removed his hands and grabbed Nicolette for an embrace.

She was quite aware that many people were staring at them now, but she didn’t care, she was in his arms once again and it felt so good. It was then that she realized how much they fit, how they fit like a puzzle piece put together.

“Oh my god! I can’t believe you’re here! Now? I thought there’s four more months until you came back.” she said, trying to blink away tears as he released her from the hug.

Devon grinned, “You look like you had missed me a lot.” he teased. “But why didn’t you call me?”

Nicolette looked at her hands, “I don’t know…I was scared.” she mumbled.

“Scared of what?”

“Scared to hear that you might have fallen in love with someone else.” she whispered.

His grin changed into something more serious, something that Nicolette had never seen before.

“What’s it to you?” he asked.

Nicolette shrugged, “Well…it’s just that I…I…I think I’ve fallen in love with you!” she blurted out quickly before looking away.

Devon chuckled. “Look at me, Nicolette.” he said.

She stared down at his shoes, feeling her heart begin to flutter.

Gently, he grabbed her chin and raised it to meet his eyes. “Don’t worry, although there were some pretty hot girls that I’ve met when I traveled, they can’t be you.” he replied as he kissed her on the lips.

Nicolette felt his smile in the kiss and longed to kiss him deeper, but was quite aware that they were the center of attention in the restaurant at that moment. Quickly, she broke it off and blushed when she noticed people staring.

“Not here…” she mumbled before taking her seat. “So why are you here so early?” she asked.

Devon shrugged as he took a seat from across from her, “I can’t believe that I’m actually saying this, but I missed you and the rest of my family.” he replied, looking at her. “Oh and by the way, you look beautiful tonight.”

For a moment, Nicolette felt as her there was a surge of warmth that spread through her as she blushed again, looking away. Where was her mom?!

“So what are you ordering?” he asked.

“What?”

A smile played on Devon’s lips, watching her glance at the washroom doors. “You do know that your  mom isn’t here right? She left ten minutes ago.”

Nicolette’s jaw dropped. “What? She ditched me?”

“No actually, we planned it. It’s just you and me babe.” he said with a wink.

It was then that she realized what all the fuss was about. Her mom was setting her up with Devon! She should have realized this ages ago!

“So what are you going to order?” he asked, breaking the silence.

***

The dinner that night passed fast. Through eating and talking, Nicolette had felt like she had really connected with Devon, something she had rarely done in the past.

It was silent when he drove her home, but it was comfortable silence. When Devon had finally reached her house, however, it was Nicolette who was the first one to speak.

“Good night Devon. I’ll see you tomorrow, right?” she asked.

He smiled, “Yeah, of course.”

As Nicolette opened the car door, Devon suddenly grabbed her wrist and pulled her in again.

“Wait.”

She turned to look at him and was caught by surprise when he leaned in and kissed her. For a moment, it felt as if time stopped and she could feel the fast beating of her heart as they kissed. Her lips felt like it was melting with his and she couldn’t help but moan through it. 

Gently, Devon stroked her jaw, making her open her mouth as his tongue slid into her mouth, exploring the depths. For a while, their tongues mingled together, before they finally broke apart.

Nicolette felt her lips tingling along with a flush of heat on her face.  She smiled at him before speaking, “Well, good night, Devon.” she said again before getting out of the car.

“And good night to you too.” said Devon softly.

____________________

Ahh! One more chapter till the end of the story, Tell me how it is, and when should I post my next story up? Tomorrow or the day after that?