Chapter Twenty Four - The Truth

Chapter Twenty Four – The Truth

Devon absentmindedly paced back and forth the dorm, half looking at his watch, half staring at the door, anticipating for Nicolette to come through the front door at any minute, but she didn’t. It was already nine pm and there was a big blizzard outside, covering the ground and trees white with snow.

Without warning, there was a rapid knock on the door. Devon immediately stood up from the couch and ran to open the door. When he did, two police officers, the headmistress and Tessa were standing at the door.

“Hello Devon,” greeted the headmistress grimly. “The police want to talk to you for a minute or two in private.” she said.

Devon glanced at Tessa nodding curtly, trying to get rid of the feeling he was in some sort of trouble…

 “This evening, there was a report that Nicolette is missing,” began the female officer. “We have been informed by Miss. Libeth (Tessa) that she had seen you force Nicolette into your car this afternoon, so unfortunately, you are the number one suspect.”

His eyes widened slightly. “I’m sure that is a mistake…”

“And that’s what they all say,” said the male officer. “Come, you’re going to have a ride to the police station with us.”

Devon didn’t answer for a moment, but he looked towards Tessa who was smiling evilly. “You!” he hissed as he walked up to her. “You had something to do with this!”

“I don’t know what on earth you’re talking about.” she replied innocently.

 “Where is she?” he demanded, grabbing her shirt.

“Mr. Shade!” yelled the female police officer. “Let go of her now!”

He loosened his grip and stared her down before the police officers pushed him forward. “Well, go on.”

 He took one last at her and spoke ever so softly. “If you hurt her…”

“You only brought it onto yourself.” she said softly, leaving him to ponder what she meant.

***

“Where were you, Mr. Shade, at three this afternoon?” asked the detective, circling around him.

“I was in the science and math department, looking for Nicolette,” he said calmly, “and Matthew Kim can prove that to you.”

“Oh really? Was he searching with you?”

“Yeah, he can, but there is no need to ask him when I can tell you who took Nicolette.” replied Devon slowly. “Her name is Tessa Libeth.”

The detective arched his eyebrows, “How do you know that? She’s the one who informed us about you.”

“Because I know what she’s capable of, what she can do.”

“Ahh, but Mr. Shade, can you prove this to us?”

“Well…err no.” said Devon, looking down at his hands.

“Exactly, besides with the history of bad behavior at school, I’m not surprised you would commit a crime.”

“But I’ve changed over the year, I’ve—”

Suddenly the door to the office opened and a man came in and spoke. “A person by the name of Vincent just arrived, saying that the girl’s at the—” he paused, glancing at Devon before looking back to the detective. “Anyways, the boy’s free to go as well because Vincent told us what had really happened to the girl.” he said before walking out.