Chapter Thirteen - The Threat

Hey guys! So I know you all want some more twists and that the last few chapters were a bit short... So I’m making it up to you with a super long chapter and a nice twist to it! :)

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirteen –  The Threat

If this day couldn’t get any worse for Nicolette, it just had. After Skyler had insisted for her to go get a check up at the nurse’s office, it was official that she couldn’t attend classes for a while. It wasn’t because of the injuries she had acquired from getting hit by a car. No, she only got a few cuts, bruises, and a twisted wrist from it. The real problem with why she couldn’t attend to any of her classes yet was just something small, annoying, and living in her hair.

“Tsk, tsk, head lice.” announced the nurse in disapproval. “You’d think that by your age, you would have the common sense not to put stuff on your head that doesn’t belong to you.”

Nicolette was about to argue with that, but the nurse cut her off.

“Alright, you’ll have a note for your teachers about your head case of head lice and you will have four days to get rid of—”

The door suddenly opened, and in stomped Devon scratching his head with a pissed look on his face.

It made Nicolette snicker. She had never seen him so annoyed.

The nurse glanced at his way for a moment, before he handed her a slip of paper. She read through it once and immediately started circling around Devon like a vulture looking for its prey. Then out of now where, she pulled out a magnifying glass and a comb. Over the period of five minutes, she paused to comb his hair and use a magnifying class to study it. Without warning, she stopped and shook her head with disapproval again.

“Honestly, I don’t understand what is up with you teenagers and head lice! Stop sticking your head into hats that don’t belong to you and stop putting food onto your head! Is it that hard? You are not three year olds!

Nicolette’s eyes widened as looked at Devon for a moment. Out of all the people and out of all the times this could have happened, he had to have gotten head lice too? She groaned while Devon tried to argue with the nurse.

“But that’s impossible!” he exclaimed. “I didn’t do anything like that. Plus, my sister’s a clean freak! She’s behind my butt all day if I have a speckle of mud from playing soccer.”

The nurse just rolled her eyes. “Excuses!” she snapped. “How else do you think you can contract head lice?”

“Well, maybe someone had head lice and their hair touched mine…then the rest is history.” he said through gritted teeth.

“I suppose it is possible to contract it by contact of someone else’s hair, but seriously, you don’t go rubbing your head against someone else’s, do you? Huh?”

Devon looked bitterly at the nurse, but couldn’t think of anything to argue back.

“Now, Mr. Shade and Miss. Sinclair, go shopping for some for some anti-louse products. Here is a list of recommended products to buy and here is a note for your teachers. There’s one for each of you, so don’t come back to me saying you lost it. I won’t give you another one.” she stated, while handing Devon three pieces of paper. “Anyways, come back to me in two to three days and we’ll have your head checked again. Good day.” And with that, she shooed the two out of her office.