Chapter Eleven - Wishing Upon A Shooting Star

Chapter Eleven –  Wishing Upon A Shooting Star

Nicolette ran down the hallway without a second thought to everything around her. She didn’t even realize that she was going to collide into someone until it was too late.

The head-on collision with another body wasn’t fun. Of course it hurt, but it just soured her mood.

“Whoa, slow down there, would you?” said an all too familiar voice.

Nicolette managed to stand back up, only to meet someone’s eyes. Once again, she was staring into the eyes of Skyler Lorenzo, who was currently studying her facial expression.

“Are you okay?” continued Sklyer, “you seem to look kind of annoyed, angry, upset, and pissed off…”

Nicolette’s eyebrows rose. She was surprised that he read off everything she was feeling at that moment. “Uh, yeah well I’m fine.” she grumbled.

Skyler sighed; “So what happened?” he asked.

“What are you talking about?”

“What happened with you? Did Devon bother you too much this time or what?”

“Damn, you’re good at guessing.” she mumbled, looking away from him.

Skyler chuckled; “Why didn’t you call me?”

“I washed off your number accidently.” replied Nicolette, feeling quite embarrassed.

“Alright, well I’ll make sure to give you another one soon.”

“Thanks.” And with that, she continued down the hallway.

Before Nicolette had a chance to walk any further, Skyler caught her wrist. “Don’t go just yet. I hate seeing you walk away so upset. A pretty girl shouldn’t be in a sour mood because of my cousin. It breaks my heart just seeing it.” he said softly.

For a moment, her voice was caught in her throat, as her brain tried to process what she had just heard. Did he just call her…no, can’t be.

“Please, let me show you something that’ll take your mind off all your troubles.” he continued.

Nicolette hesitated for a moment, pondering if she should agree or not. She looked at Sklyer again; his eyes seemed to beg for her to go. “Alright, fine.”

 Like a kid who had just been praised by an adult, his eyes lit up immediately after she had agreed. She couldn’t help but smile at that, but in some ways, she regretted it because the next thing she knew, her arm was being wrenched out of its sockets.

“Don’t run so fast and pull me along like dead weight!” complained Nicolette.

Sklyer just laughed; “Sorry, but it’ll be worth it! If we’re lucky, maybe you can make a wish too.”

“What? What do you mean make a wish; on what?” she demanded.

Skyler just ignored her questions as they descended down the stairs and out of the building. As they stepped out, a cold breeze suddenly hit them. Nicolette shivered slightly, before crossing her arms together, suddenly realizing the fact that she was only wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

“You look cold…” commented Skyler.

Nicolette rolled her eyes at him. “No shit, I’m as warm as—” Suddenly a jacket fell onto her head and the rest of her words were muffled. “Oh, uh, thanks, but aren’t you going to get cold?” she asked, while looking towards Sklyer.

He shrugged; “Oh, this isn’t cold. I’ve lived in Alaska before and it’s a lot colder there than it is here. Anyways, it doesn’t matter; in about a minute, we’re getting into my car.”

“Wait, where are you taking me? Is it far? What is there to do at this time of night?”

Skyler smiled before winking at her. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

“Oh gees, I swear I had heard that answer a million other times before…”

***

“Wow… this is just amazing. I’m almost speechless;” said Nicolette softly, while gazing up at cluster of stars above her.

They had stopped at a park, a bit beyond the edge of the city, in an area where there were barely any streetlights around. Never once had she seem this many stars out in the open. There were millions, possible billions of shining stars out in the open. It was beautiful and breathtaking at the same time. The whole world seemed silent and appeared as if they were just under one big dome of stars.

“I’m glad you like it. It was one of my favorite places to come as a child before I traveled around the world. In so many ways, I miss standing here. Nobody ever acknowledges the beauty of the stars, not when it comes out every single night.” he explained.

 “But this is completely different. I mean in the city, you can barely see any of the billions of stars we’re seeing right now.”

“Exactly, every single night, people just drive around cities, not bothering to look up and wonder if there are more stars in the sky then one or two,” said Skyler sadly, “it’s because of the light pollution that everyone is missing out on the beauty of nature. Most stars are not bright enough to outshine the artificial lights we have. The sad thing is that we probably miss dozens of shooting stars and comets every month because of the streetlights.”

 “Wow, you seem to know a lot about stars.”

Skyler just smiled. “Yeah, well, I want to be an astronomer eventually.”

Nicolette nodded and for a moment, the two were silent, just gazing at the stars. She could hear Skyler’s quiet breathing and it made her feel relaxed. As she rested her head on the grass and blinked, something quick and fast caught her eye. It was bright and fast because within a few seconds, it was all over.

“Was that a shooting star or a comet?” she asked, looking towards Skyler.

“A shooting star;” he replied back. “Well, make a wish.” he ushered.

Nicolette laughed, feeling like a child again. “You do it first.”

“Already done.”

She sighed before closing her eyes, feeling silly about doing it. There were many things she could have ‘wished’ for, but she was too caught up in the moment to think, so it was the first thing that popped into her mind.

Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I have tonight… Hmm…I wish that Skyler and I can be more then friends, she thought.

“Wish granted.” replied the soft voice.

“What?!” demanded Nicolette as she bolted upright, looking towards the direction of Skyler.

He had an amused look on his face, while speaking. “You were talking out loud when you were making your wish.”

Nicolette groaned as she placed her hands into her face, turning red. It was the most embarrassing thing that had happened to her all year. For peat’s sake, why was she such an idiot? What happened to her no dating boys rule, player or not? Damn it!

“Don’t worry, I think it’s kind of cute.” commented Skyler with a smile as he moved closer and gently removed her hands away from her face. “I think my wish just came true too.”