Chapter 20: Connecting Relationships

Days went by slowly. I went around the village aimlessly not knowing where I was going or what I was doing. I would go and train with other ninjas, teach children at the academy, and go and train with my team. I had a routine. Each day I went through it slowly, I never skipped a beat, and followed my schedule to a "T."

Weeks went by even slower. I stumbled around aimlessly each time thinking of what I said to Sasuke before he left. He has a big chance of death and I just told him the last thing I wanted him to know before he dies. I thought as I trained my young team, teaching the necessities they would need so that they would survive longer than most shinobi.

Months passed and still no word from them. I went on missions and faced challenges of my own, but the nothing was as life threatening as what they must be going through. Where are you?

The nightmares have ceased to exist since my team left to fight Asura which surprisingly put me more at unease. Gaara came and went to the village helping take care of what Naruto couldn't since we was gone on a mission. Each time he visited was one of the happier days. I had someone I felt I could talk to without fear of judgement or betrayal.

~

"Hello Hinata. May I ask why I have the pleasure of being graced by your presence?" Gaara asked behind Naruto's desk though he didn't seem very comfortable there which was understandable since he wasn't the Hokage.

"Hello Gaara." I said remembering that he didn't like when I called him Kazekage. "I just came to drop off my mission report."

"Ah right. Sorry, I forgot I sent you out on a mission. Everything has been a little busy lately. Anyways, welcome home." He let a small smile cross his features. Its been pleasant being able to see his smile. It's not very noticeable like Naruto's but its subtle and genuine helping me forget the pain I may have caused Sasuke.

"Do you need any help with anything?" I ask knowing that I had nothing to do once I got home and it was midday.

"No, no, you go rest Hinata."

"With all do respect, Gaara, but my mission was a restful vacation in itself." I looked at him with a smirk and grabbed a chair pulling it  next to him. I stare at the massive heaps of paperwork and took in a deep breath as I started from the closest pile from the top and worked my way down.

As we worked we hardly talked except for the occasional question of how to go about a document by me and the constant grumbling from the Kazekage.

Once the piles where diminished to nothing we both leaned back in our chairs smiling to ourselves pleased with what we had accomplished.

"Ramen?" Gaara asked turning his head toward me.

"Ramen." I agreed straightforwardly as I turned toward him smiling.

We walked to the Ramen shop laughing and making small talk about stupid things we've done as children, his more horrifying than adorable, and talked about crazy antics like siblings and how they could be such a pain.

"You could have never been through the embarrassment of your younger sister showing you up." I argue leaning over the table slurping my  Ramen Noodles.

"No, but she has some wicked mood swings that I, am even afraid of her."

"Ooooooo so scary." i tease. We both laugh and finish our food still talking away about random nonsense. However, good times come to an end and it was time for us to part.