Chapter 13: A Dance with the Devil

The next day Shikamaru, Shino, Kiba, Akamaru, Gaara, and I set out to the small village down the valley. The night before after Gaara had ordered that he go along he went and told the others who did little to stop him. Shikamaru only asked if he was sure about it which Gaara of course said yes. After that it was settled that he would go. We informed our team leader and waited for early morning.

It was around three o' clock in the morning when we set out for the village in the valley. We moved swift and it made me smile at how serious Gaara was about this mission. I'm not saying he is never serious, he's always serious, but he didn't act like a leader. No, he ran right by Naruto and listened to the ninja's long breathed life story. He acted as if he was just another member of the team. In a lot of ways he reminded me of Sasuke. He was techniquely the leader given his high status, but he was more of a team player by asking and waiting for others to give his two cents, even if it was just Naruto complaining that he was hungry and wanted ramen.

When we arrived in the ruined village we set out to the old man's house at the edge of town. As we walked through the crowded streets I noticed families rebuilding any destroyed furniture and other property items that were damaged during the raid. I ducked under a large man's arms as he carried water to the working citizens.

"Everyone is working together to rebuild. Amazing." I said surprised about the family like community.

"This is how it should be. Everyone should know and respect everyone; not one person should be left alone." Gaara commented as he looked around with me his face was emotionless but his eyes shone with admiration.

I nodded not knowing what to say and went to the head of the group to lead them to Balthazar's house. When we arrived at his doorstep his door swung open and there stood Asura wild eyed. His right black eye gave a wicked glare my way while his left red eye glared beside it. In his arms was his father bleeding from his chest, blood dripping onto the floor.

"He's dead." I muttered in surprised as my Byakugan saw that Balthazar's heart had stopped. "You killed your own father." My rage built as I stepped forward into the untouched house. "You monster!" I screamed as I jumped forward attacking the demon with ferocity.

Asura laughed as he dodged my attacks easily. I built chakra up into my hands until they were glowing blue with the Twin Tiger Fists. I slashed her hands wildly, but in a system of moves knowing that I couldn't leave myself open or risking losing my life and possibly a teammates. Asura kept laughing now blocking my swinging arms with his.

"Hinata, do you really think I wouldn't kill my own father. That he was my weakness? You are so naïve. Let me tell you about my father." Asura talked nonchanlantly still easily blocking my attacks. "My father long ago made a deal, a deal when I was baby that changed me into what I am today, a demon. Yes, that right. He made the ancient deal of the century. To be the ruler of the land he granted the Devil my soul. However, since I was an innocent child it was difficult to rip my pure soul from my body. That is why half of me remains, and why I have the ability to take souls and reincarnate them."

So that's why his soldiers turned into trees that helped spy his enemies. I thought still searching for an opening making sure that during the process I didn't leave myself an opening for him to attack with. On the other hand, he seemed to have no intention to attack me or the others.

In the corner of my eye I could see Shikamaru doing the hands signs for shadow jutsu. On the other side I could see Shino summoning his bugs for an attack, and Kiba and Akamaru were already in man beast clone jutsu. I couldn't see Gaara or Naruto but I knew they were somewhere helping with Asura.