Don't Pity Me

Sprig woke foggily to the sounds of sirens in the distance.

Groggily she looked around her, and remembered where she had been, what she had been doing and what had happened just before.. Just before she crashed.

No wait, someone had crashed into her. She had been t-boned.

Her head was spinning, it hurt to think about everything but she could definitely remember everything.

Moving the rest of herself was no easy task, in fact, her lower half was pinned in the tin can that used to be her car. Her arm hurt a good deal and she figured that was because it partially stopped the air bag from deploying fully into her face.

She looked around her and seen the other vehicle a few yards away, a truck, with some significant damage but the guy driving seemed fine.

The sounds of the sirens were drawing closer and Sprig assumed that the other driver had called for help.

If only she had been paying attention, and not so focused on him. On Caleb, the cheater that he was. She wanted to blame this on him, desperately she wanted to, but deep down she knew this was all on her, and her actions.

Her heart felt like breaking, she let out a soft sob, distraught from everything that had just transpired.

This was certainly shaping up to be the worst idea she had ever had in her life, she didn't regret many things, but this was definitely one of them.

In the midst of her uncontrollable sobs, she hadn't noticed anything going on outside of her vehicle. She hadn't notice the police and the ambulances, nor had she noticed the crowd gathering around the crash site.

She hadn't seen him slip up from the crowd, up to the front. She hadn't seen him run up to her car, she hadn't noticed any of it until Caleb started shouting.

The police surrounded him, pushing him back, not allowing him to further damage the crime scene.

The look of hurt when she shook her head to deny him access to the scene replayed many times in Sprig's mind. She was still angry with him and as far as she was concerned, she wasn't his problem to worry about anymore.

Truck Guy was very angry about the whole accident, and to be fair, she let him slur her name because it was her fault. Even with her being T-boned.

Both parties had full coverage though so Sprig had no doubt that at least his car would be taken care of, her car however, was totaled. They had to use the jaws of life to remove her from the vehicle, because she had been crushed and pinned into the driver's side.

She hadn't even noticed the gash bleeding profusely from her head because the pain from her legs and arm hurt far too much.

It was a horrible experience when they shifted her out and onto a gurney for transport. She wanted to cry out in pain, but she refused to give any gawking Straggler's the enjoyment of it.

The ride to the hospital wasn't much better, and it was slightly embarrassing, given her lifestyle choices and the fact that she was commando.

Once she at the hospital and being admitted, she didn't feel so bad but it was getting harder to deny the pain she was feeling in her arm, her head and her hip.

The ER doctor, a sweet elderly gentleman decided that she definitely needed to be admitted not only for observation but for the plethora of tests he needed to run.

She was quickly sent to a room on another floor of the hospital and given pain medication.

She didn't get to stay in her room long however, because they jostled her around from a catscan, an MRI, X-rays.

After the excitement of those tests, a lovely young nurse wearing a pretty pink Minnie Mouse scrub top pushed her back to her room and helped her dress into one of those horribly stiff hospital gowns.

Between the drugs, the accident, the events before the accident, and being shuffled around, Sprig was incredibly exhausted. She tried not to sleep, fighting it every step of the way, considering they still didn't know if she had a concussion or not, but eventually the her tired eyes closed on their own accord.

For the second time that day she groggily opened her eyes, the light of the room causing her to squint painfully. Her head was back to ringing again and when she went to move her arm, she winced.

Looking around she finally managed to find the nurses call button, and paged someone from the nurses station.

A different nurse came to help her, still as bubbly as the last but much shorter and with a blonde bob. She announced that it had been shift change while she had been sleeping, and that her name was Mary.

"Do you know if the doctor has seen any of my results from the tests they ran?" Sprig managed to cough out, she would definitely need to ask for a cup of water.

Mary came to Sprig, checking her vitals, "Actually, he probably has, I'll go hunt him down and see if he can answer any questions you may have, is there anything else I can get you?"

"Thank you and yes, could you maybe get me a glass of water, my throat is so dry and my head is ringing again," Sprig half hazardly smiled.

"You betcha, hopefully the doctor will be here shortly," and with that Mary turned and bounced peppily out of her room.

Two minutes more or less had passed when a quiet knock sounded on Sprig's door.

Sprig expected to see her doctor but that's not who walked in, sheepishly Caleb slid his tall muscular form through the entryway and shuffled over to Sprig's bedside.

"Now is not the time to be here, please go away and leave me in peace," Sprig wanted to hide. She didn't want him here and of course she couldn't run this time.
"Sprig, I-uh, need to explain what you think you saw--"

"What I thought I saw was my ex trying to fuck my other ex, while I tried to come and explain myself. Seriously Caleb, I can not deal with your shit right now. Please get out, I don't want to yell but I will if I have to, I don't want you here. I don't want to think about you, I just need to be alone," although she had tried to remain soft spoken the last few bits of her speech ended up being louder than she anticipated.

"Sprig, if you could just give me a minute to explain everything I'm sure that you would--" he was desperately trying to get the words out but Sprig wasn't having any of it.

"No. I don't want to know what you have to say, I don't need you to explain anything, it was clear what was going on, don't pity me and try to break my heart softly. I'm a big girl, I can't handle myself, just get out before I have you physically removed!" She was in tears now, and slammed her arms down which only caused her further pain.

Caleb sat there for a moment, anguish written all over his handsome features, tears in his eyes but not yet crying, for a moment Sprig thought he was going to speak again but he just shook his head and angrily laughed before he got up and left Sprig alone to cry on her own.

Today had been one of the worst days of her life and she wasn't quite sure how she would ever recover from it.