Chapter 20

"Hey, love birds? Kinda have a bigger problem at hand right now!" Minho says, and I glance over at him. His eyebrows are arched and his lips are curled into a smirk.

I blush faintly. "Right," I reply.

I stand up and so does Newt. We look around for the others, but they're nowhere in sight.

"Where's everyone else?" Harriet asks, turning in a circle.

"Did we take the right path?" Jackie questions.

"They said go straight the entire way," Newt replies, his arms crossed across his chest and his face deep in thought. My heart flutters at the familiar gesture.

I refocus and scratch the back of my neck, thinking everything through. Then a horrible thought crosses my mind.

"What if that explosion blocked their path off? Like how it nearly blocked ours?" I suggest, nervously rubbing my arm.

"It's a possibility..." Newt says, his tone morose.

Our thoughts are quickly interrupted when a new chorus of voices break out near us.

"Thank goodness we're out of there," I hear a voice sigh with relief.

I turn around, and my nerves are chilled when I see that it's Sonya and her group. They didn't have Brenda or Jorge as a guide so they were given an easy path like ours.

Sonya smiles when she sees us, and she jogs over here. Her group does as well, and it looks like it got significantly smaller.

"Glad to see you all are alive," Sonya says with a wide grin, looking between Harriet and I.

"You have no idea," Harriet laughs awkwardly.

"Fry!" Minho exclaims, then walks up to the dark skinned boy. They give each other the brotherly hand shake.

Sonya glances at me, and then at Newt. She notices the different look in his eyes, and then she mouths to me while he isn't looking, "Does he remember?"

I smile and nod, and her grin grows wider.

"The others haven't come?" a kid with shaggy blonde hair asks, his eyes full of sadness. "And where's-"

"He's gone, man," Minho says sadly.

The boy stares at the ground.

"Well, now what do we do?" Jackie asks, her green eyes scanning our faces.

I sigh. "I guess we just wait until the others come."

"I guess so," Harriet mumbles.

The sun quickly sets, and there still hasn't been sight of the others. I begin to grow anxious. Newt glances at me, his eyes worried.

"Are you alright?" he asks, his brown eyes inspecting my face.

"No," I tell him. "The others are in the sewers somewhere and they need help."

"I'm sure they'll show Maya," Newt reassures me, reaching for my hand. "They'll find a way out."

I shake my head. "It's been hours. They would've shown up by now. Explosion or not." I stand up.