Chapter 12

I wince, looking at the red sunburn that covers my arm. Luckily, it's almost time for the sunset, and then it'll cool down a bit.

"Maybe this whole thing of traveling during the day isn't the brightest idea," Lucy says, then smirks, "Pun intended."

"Yeah," I agree. "We're being cooked alive out here."

"Then starting tomorrow, we'll sleep during the day and travel during the night. It's basically night already, so we'll keep walking. I'm sure sleep is pointless with these fresh sunburns," Harriet scowls, looking at our reddened arms.

I nod. "And maybe we could find Newt on the way."

"Possibly," Sonya says, then pulls out her water bottle and starts sipping. "Water break."

Amber frowns and shakes her water bottle. "I'm all out."

Sonya takes the bottle away from her mouth. "Me too."

Lucy sighs. "Great," she sputters sarcastically. "Does anyone have any water left?"

Everyone who had started drinking from their bottles shake their heads no after they bring the water bottle down from their mouth.

"Crap," Harriet mutters. "We need to find water tonight before the sun rises, or we'll never make it to tomorrow."

"Let's get moving, then," I say, anxiousness already kicking in.

Everyone puts away their bottles back in their packs, and then we continue moving. As the sun slowly sets, our surroundings become colder and colder. Dark clouds move in above us.

"This place is crazy," Lucy shivers. "Hot during the day, and freezing during the night."

I lick my chapped lips. "The dry air doesn't help either."

Suddenly, thunder booms across the desert. Sonya looks up. "Sounds like a thunderstorm is about to start."

"We can't stay out here much longer. It's dangerous," Harriet says.

Then, Amber points ahead. "Look! It's a shack we can take shelter in!"

Low and behold, there is a tiny shack that sits about 30 feet ahead of us.

Anber starts racing off towards the building. "Wait!" I yell, then start running after her. "Amber stop!"

Lightning crackles and strikes the ground, sending the ground shaking. The others curse and start running after us.

Lucy, Harriet, and the others catch up to me. Lightning strikes the ground all around us, causing billows of dirt to swirl in the air, making it nearly impossible to see.

Then, Amber's silhouette comes into view directly in front of me. Lightning strikes dangerously close to her. "Amber!" I scream. "Watch out!"

As soon as I finish the last sentence, a giant lightning bolt strikes Amber, making a loud crackling sound. I scream her name at the top of my lungs and run over to her. Arcs of electricity dance up and down her body.

I kneel down beside her, the lightning madness continuing. She lay unconscious. Harriet runs over to me, and helps me pick her up. She yells something, but I can't hear her. My ears are ringing.

We pick Amber up, and luckily, the shack isn't too far at this point. Sonya and the others wait at the door of the shack, encouraging us to hurry up.