Chapter 14

Maya POV

So far, we've been walking the desert for who knows how long. The sun is going to set soon, which is nice, considering we won't get burned by the intense rays of the sun.

We quickly approach a sand dune. The man that came along with us said his name was Jorge. He pointed at the top. "Okay, we need to hike this dune. Are you hermanas ready?"

We all nod without hesitation. Jorge smiles. "Tough girls. No wonder you all are from WICKED."

Jorge begins trudging up to the top, his boots digging into the sand. He shows no pain of the excruciating work, to which I'm surprised. He looks fairly older than the rest of us, and if he contracted the Flare, wouldn't the signs show on him? Then again, we have the Flare, too. That's why we need this cure no matter what.

We painstakingly follow him up the giant dune, our calves bursting with pain each step we take. A few people lose their balance, but quickly regain it and continue walking. Amber stumbles, but I help her back on her feet. She limps a bit, but I pay no attention to it.

When we finally reach the top, I gaze at our surroundings. Complete desert. I'd say it would be never ending, except I can see the slight outline of the mountains, and below that in the distance, the Crank City.

I gaze down the dune. Now, the fun part; getting down. Lucy sits down and slides down the giant sand hill. Others follow her example; but some try to walk down, and their feet gets tangled as gravity takes over. They roll down the dune until they land at the bottom with a loud grunt. Jorge stands at the top of the dune, a bit of amusement hidden on his face, watching them slide down.

Next it's my turn to get down. I attempt to follow Lucy's example, but it goes horribly wrong. I veer to my left and begin log rolling down the hill. Sand catches in my throat and I cough violently.

Friction stops me at the bottom of the dune and Harriet helps me up. "Thanks," I tell her.

She nods and we wait for the rest of the group. When everyone has painfully made it down, Jorge takes lead once again. We follow him, our legs aching with pain, but we continue on. It's important we stay as fit as possible, considering before we reach the mountains, we have to go through the city. Jorge said we're going to meet up with his friend at the entrance.

"Who is your friend anyway?" I ask, the thought floating around my brain.

Jorge turns around, and the group comes to a stop. "I don't believe that's important right now."

"Actually, it is. If we're going to risk our lives waiting for your friend, we have a right to know," Harriet says.

Jorge sighs and narrows his eyes. "Fine. She is someone I've known for a while. I've protected her ever since the sun flares occurred. We watched out for each other."

"Why isn't she with you now?" I ask, craving more answers.

"No need. I've already told you who she is. I don't need to tell you every single thing. This is just a business relationship, hermana."

I frown. "Fair enough. How long will it take us to get to the city?"

"A few days," Jorge answers, glancing behind him at the city in the distance. "But if we keep walking and stop talking, maybe less than that."

Sonya nods. "Sounds like a done deal. Let's keep moving."

We continue walking, then take a water break, and continue walking again. The sun sets throughout this endless routine. As the sun inches closer behind the horizon, it seems like everything is okay. But then, in an instant, everything isn't.