Chapter 10

The days dragged on further and further. And I hadn't seen Newt ever since we were rescued. Worry gnawed at my insides, and I began to doubt this place that took us in. Could they really be trusted?

I sit and stare at the clock on the wall. We've been staying in a dorm room each day and night. The only time we were allowed to come out was during lunch or if they wanted one of us.

I yawn. It's almost lunch. I squeeze my knuckles together, and form a fist. Harriet sits beside me, staring at the ground, tapping her shoes on the ground. She glances over at my hand.

"You mad too?" she asks, her black locks cascading down her shoulder.

I nod. "They're keeping us in here like rats in a cage. When are they going to let us go?"

I glance at Amber, and she is laying her head down on her pillow, looking glum. I get up and walk over to her.

"Hey," I say.

"Hi," she mumbles, then sits up. "I miss the Glade."

Everyone raises their eyebrows.

"Minus the Grievers of course," she says, and plops her head back down on the pillow.

"Why?" Lucy asks. "They were experimenting on us, like we were their lab monkeys."

"Yeah, but how bad was it before we knew what they were doing? And before Newt-" Amber glances at me, then stops. Her head lowers. "Never mind."

"No, you're right," I say. "Everything seemed normal before Newt was sent up. But still, anywhere is better than in WICKED's hands."

Amber sighs. "I just wish they'd let us go already."

"Me too," Sonya agrees.

Then, a loud ring goes off. That's the lunch bell. Guards unlock the door, and we follow them into the cafeteria. As I'm walking to my table, through a window, I see Newt walking down a hallway with two other guards.

"Newt!" I yell, trying to gain his attention.

At the last minute, he glances my way, and then he's gone. I rush over to a door that leads into the hallway, where a guard pushes me back. "Where are they taking him?" I ask, my veins pumping with adrenaline.

"That's confidential," the guard says to me. "Now go sit back down."

"He's my friend, just tell me!" I continue, my voice rising.

"I said, sit DOWN!" he barks, then shoves me away.

I stumble backwards, luckily into a wall. My back slams against it.

Harriet, Sonya, and Lucy rush over to my aid. "Hey, chill out!" Harriet yells, holding up her hand to the guard.

Then, Janson races over from behind. "What is going on?!" he yells.

I stand up straight, the energy drained out of me. "I want to make sure Newt is okay!" I exclaim, gesturing to the door.

"He's being taken good care of. But outbursts like this will NOT be tolerated," he glances at the guard. "Take them to their rooms."

I look at the guard, and he smirks. He and a few other guards grab us by the shoulders and pull us to our rooms.

They basically throw us in the room, and lock the door.

"Just great," Harriet huffs, sitting on the bed.

"We have to get out of here. Something tells me this place can't be trusted," I say, trying to remember this place.

Lucy walks over. "Where else are we gonna go?"

"They give us food and stuff," Amber mumbles.

"Whatever is out there, we can handle," I say, a surge of confidence rising throughout me.

Sonya sighs. "I don't know. Amber is right. They've taken care of us."

"Why won't they tell us anything? Something isn't right. I don't trust this place," I say.

Harriet stands up. "You know what, Maya. I'm with you. These sticks won't give us any answers. We're strong enough to survive what ever is out there."

Tess, the girl with freckles, who hasn't been saying much, finally speaks. "I agree with you guys. I've had a bad feeling about them ever since I got here."

"Then we have to get out of here," I say.

"What if we don't want to leave?" Sonya asks, her arms crossed. She glances at Harriet, and the tension builds. Her and Harriet rarely ever have opposing ideas.

Harriet frowns. "Then I guess you'll have to stay."

Sonya looks a bit shocked for a second, but then it disappears. Harriet looks over at me. "What's your plan?"

A few hours later, we're still in the cabin. I already told Harriet, Tess, and a few other girls our plan. Hopefully it'll work. The next time the guards let us out, which should be around dinner time, we'll carry out the plan.

I glance at Amber, Lucy, Sonya, and the rest of the girls that wanted to stay. Amber looks like she is on the verge of tears, but holds it in. I wave at her, feeling my eyes water. I may never see them again.

We wait, until the guard comes into view. He opens the door, and we abruptly tackle him to the ground, reaching for his key card to open up the doors. Sonya and the others that want to stay gasp. We successfully pin him to the ground, when Tess yells, "Got it!"

We race down the hallway towards the exit, when alarms start going off. The hallway flashes red, and the blaring alarm noises pierce our eardrums.

We make it to the door, and Tess frantically swipes the card through the sensor. It beeps, and the tiny screen flashes red. Crap! Please tell me they didn't lock down the doors already. We keep trying, when a loud crackling noise erupts throughout the air, and my body suddenly jolts with pain. I lose control of my muscles and tumble to the ground. Everyone else is hit with the electric pulse, convulsing on the floor. Blue sparks are dancing over their bodies.

My arms and legs won't move. I can faintly make out the distinct sound of footsteps, overtop of the ringing in my ears. I glance upwards, and see Janson looking down at me, a sadistic smile on his face.

"Phase 2 is ready to commence," he proclaims.