Chapter 19

"Ughhh," Minho groans, holding his head.

I sit next to Newt and Lucy. She is also having a major hangover at the moment. I glance over at her, and she's laying on her back groaning in pain. "Whyyy did I drink that crap?" Lucy mutters.

I shrug and look up at the stars. So far our entire group is staying behind an abandoned building in the Crank City. The sewers are not even that far, but Thomas suggested that we wait until everyone is sober again.

"Hey, Maya, is it?" Newt asks, grabbing my attention.

I turn my head towards him. "Yeah?"

His eyebrows furrow, and I can tell he is trying to sort his thoughts. "For some reason, I feel like I know you. But I just can't remember," he says finally.

I sigh, and try to bottle up my emotions. I can't get emotional over this now. "We were close once. But there's nothing we can do about it now."

"I just wish I remembered," Newt sighs, leaning back. He then glances at me, a look of curiosity on his face. "Were we close?"

I laugh. "I guess you could say that."

He nods, then faces forward, seemingly not amused as much as I was.

"I wish you remembered too," I mumble under my breath, as I stare up at the night sky.

Newt glances at me. "What was that?" he asks.

I shake my head and stand up. "Nothing. I'm gonna go check on the others."

Harriet is laying on her back, staring up at the stars. I walk over to her and sit down.

"Hey," I say.

She glances at me. "Hey there."

"Feeling better?" I ask.

Harriet sits up. "Definitely," she says, then frowns. "I shouldn't have taken that drink, though. It was stupid of me."

I don't know how to respond; I mean she is right in a way, but Jett threatened everybody to drink it. She didn't want to take any chances.

I just nod in response, and Harriet laughs lightly. "What d'ya know, Maya over here is smarter than all of us."

I laugh. "I don't know. It takes a real genius to drink something a stranger gives you."

Harriet lightly punches me on the shoulder and then lays back down. She exhales exaggeratedly. "You're something else, Maya."

"I'll take that as a compliment," I reply quickly, and stand up. I yawn and find a place to lay down.

I settle on an area that is kinda secluded from the rest of the group, but not too secluded. I stare up at the stars, and feel shivers race down my spine as I hear catcalls in the distance. I close my eyes and fall into a much needed slumber.

*

When I wake up, I can barely move. I groan, and successfully roll onto my side. A headache ravages my brain. Someone then lightly kicks me in the side. I look up, and it's Lucy. She looks down at me with a playful smirk on her face.

The Trigger (A Newt fanfiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें