Chapter 8

Jay and Lily laid in the bed together that night. Lily had her iPhone on, texting her friend, Kris, a girl their age who's mother had died a year before. Kris was having a hard time dealing with it.

Lily looked over at Jay. "Poor Kris."

"Yeah," Jay sighed, one arm hanging off the bed.

"Aw," Lily said sadly. "She's going up bed."

Jay rolled her eyes. "You're so dramatic."

"Shut up."

"Make me."

Lily sticks her tongue out again.

"Hey," Lily said quietly.

"Yeah?"

"I missed you a lot."

"Same."

"Yeah..."

"What's wrong?" Jay asked, rolling over.

"Nothing.."

"Hey, we promised each other we wouldn't lie."

"I know.. But....."

"But?"

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone..."

"You'll tell me eventually, so just say it now."

"My parents are getting divorced," Jay says through her tears.

"Oh, Lily, why didn't you say something?"

"Because I didn't want you sucked into my problems..."

"Lily, your problems are my problems. You can tell me anything. You know that."

"I know, but I just... I just... I just didn't want you to worry..."

"It's too late for that. I've always worried about you, ever since the first day in second grade when we went home and I didn't see you,I worried."

Lily smiles through her tears. "Really?"

"Of course! I love you, Lily!" Jay wraps Lily in an embracing hug, squeezing her tight.

Dmitry walks in, opening the door and turning on the light.

Jay glared at him. She let go of Lily, pointing at the door. "Do you mind? Shut the damn door!" She commanded. Dmitry turned out the light and slowly closed the door.

Jay hugged Lily again, letting her cry on her shoulder. Lily cried herself to sleep on Jay, and Jay let her down onto her pillow and covered her up, plugging in Lily's phone and then sinking drowsily into sleep herself.