Chapter 6

"See you in a couple of hours," Lily said, standing in front of her baby blue Mustang.

"We'll meet at a gas station," Jay's mom said. "Both of you keep your cell phones on you and not on silent."

"Yeah, mom, we know, calm down. It's okay, I'll call you when I get to that one gas station," Jay said, slipping her sunglasses on.

"That's helpful," her mother retorted. "Just, make sure that you have your phone on and charged."

Jay sighed, sliding into her car and shutting the door. She pulled out of the driveway behind Lily, her parents behind her. They hit the highway, cruising along. Jay looked at the clock. "Hope it won't take forever to get to their place. It's already 8," she said. "Let's see what's on the radio." She tapped a button, turning it to the classic rock station. Jay cranked up "Life in the Fast Lane" as she sang along, driving behind Lily still.

Her parents were in front now, with Lily behind them and Jay behind Lily.

After 2 hours, the sky began to grow dark. Finally, Jay's mom called and told her to stop at the next gas station and fill up. Jay, her parents, and Lily stopped at the nearest FastStop for a quick bite at the built-in Subway and then to fill up their gas tanks before heading out again.

"How much farther away or the cousins?" Jay asked her father as the ate.

He shrugged. "I dunno."

"They're only about another hour away," her mother replied.

"Oh," Jay said. "Sounds good. Can you handle that, Lil?"

"Yeah, I think I can take that."

Jay nodded. She filled up her gas tank and waited on her comrades to do the same, sitting on the good of the Impala as they filled up.

A man walked by, looking her up and down as she sat on the car. "You got a problem, pal?" Jay inquired, not happy at all by the way he was looking at her. He shook his head, walking faster to his truck and driving away.

Everyone was filled up, so they continued their road trip.

In the passenger seat, Jay's phone rang.

"Hey, lady," she said as Lily answered the phone.

"I saw the way that guy was checking you out," Lily laughed.

"Hahaha, so funny."

"Yes it was. But, I can't believe you said that to him!"

"He shouldn't be looking at me like that."

"Jay, you're so mean!"

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Shouldn't you be paying attention to the road?"

"........ Good point. Love you."

"Love you, bye."

"Bye."

Lily hung up. Jay threw the phone back onto the passenger seat, shaking her head. "She's your best friend," Jay told herself. "And I'm glad she is."