A View Of The Abyss

Start from the beginning

"Where are we going? Or won't you tell me?" I glance up at him to see him smiling, his dimples denting his cheeks.

"Don't you trust me, Sweetness?" His voice is light, carefree, but I sense the question is sincere.

I do trust him. I trust him more than I trust myself.

"Of course I trust you," I tell him, but he still doesn't answer my original question.

We keep walking, our legs striding in time, until I recognize where we are in the City. We've walked over a mile, surely. I look completely around me, recognizing the gold statues which can be seen at Rockefeller Center. I stop walking and look at Jack questioningly. "What are we doing here?"

He smiles proudly. "You'll see... Actually, close your eyes."

I look at him, disbelieving. "Are you serious?"

He rolls his eyes, still smiling. "I thought you trusted me."

I close my eyes slowly, hesitantly. Then, Jack leads me through the people, saying excuse me to them and directing me until we're in a more silent area. He stops us as we stand on a smooth floor, waiting for something. Then, I hear a 'ping' and he leads me into what must be an elevator. He does all of this without talking to me – or anyone else. I'm starting to question my trust in him as we shoot up in the elevator for what seems like minutes.

Finally, the elevator stops and the doors open with that same 'ping'. Jack, still holding my hand, leads me out and I suddenly feel fresh air brushing across my face and skin. I almost open my eyes, but I really do trust Jack and I'll wait until he tells me to open them.

Jack leads me a little further and then stops us both. He moves his hand from mine and places it on the small of my back, supporting me and pulling me and then pulling me against his chest. His lips hover by my ear as he whispers, "Now, open."

I let my eyelids flutter open for the first time in a good ten minutes. Before me is a scene I've always dreamt of seeing in person and only ever seen in films or pictures. I look out at the City as it lives and breathes, swelling beneath me. The heat of the day presses down upon us, threatening to cause Jack and I and the City to whither and faint.

But we continue. We stand strong. We hold beneath the pressure and our hearts beat on.

Steady. Jack holds me against him and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. How is it, that when placed together with the lights and the business, a people can be so resilient and learn how to stand against time? We have grown and we have multiplied until this City has become bursting at the seams, yet we have never been better. I say we because I am in this City and I feel it's heartbeat within my own, it's blood within my veins.

I belong here: steady atop the Rock, within Jack's arms, in the heart of the City.

***

"How did you manage to get us up here all alone, Jack?" I lean into him, craving his support and not minding the heat of the day which beats upon us.

"I made a phone call, Sweetness." He presses a kiss into the crown of my head.

"That's all it took?" I turn in his arms, facing him rather than the City. The view is still just as breathtaking.

"That's all it takes." He brushes my braid over my shoulder and wraps his arms around me, pulling me even closer.

"Jack," My breathe catches and he comes closer.

I know that I will never deserve his feelings for me. And yet, I don't stop him from kissing me, I don't stop him from feeling this way.

I let Jack tilt my world upside down, I let him bring me to the cusp of the earth and peer into the abyss of what true love and happiness is. But I don't think I can ever let him take me into that abyss. I will only ever peer over the edge and into its depths. The beating sun will burn my skin and I will be left atop the tower, alone and with my lies which will burn me double. But I deserve it. And Jack, he deserves to be let loose and to swim into the abyss to find true happiness.

I can see the abyss as I kiss him. I can see it and it is beautiful.

It is golden, like Jack.

•••

A/N: There's an update for you :)

It's probably one of my favorite chapters thus far. Please vote or comment if you liked it.

On the side is a picture of the view from The Top Of The Rock.

Update: Thursday

Teaser: Macey and the others interns get their assignments and begin them.