Chapter Twenty One: George Boy

Sundays were my lazy days. That explains why I was at home, wearing an old T-shirt, paired with my sweatpants, and my hair was all over the place. I was curled up in a ball, in the corner of the couch in the living room, laughing at some stupid video I somehow landed on, on YouTube.

The doorbell rang suddenly, catching me off guard.

"Nafisa, answer the door!" My mom called from the kitchen.

I groaned heavily, as I rushed to make myself look presentable, putting my hair in a pony, and putting a cardigan on.

As I opened the door, my eyes widened at the person standing in front of me.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed.

Garrett smiled at me, lifting up his textbook. "I've got homework due tomorrow, and I need help."

I glared at him. "You can't be here right now," I said, looking back, making sure my mom wasn't coming to the door.

He raised his eyebrows. "And why not?"

"Because-"

"Betta, who is it?" I heard my moms voice from behind me.

Oh no.

This is it.

I felt my palms getting sweaty, as my Mom peaked at the door, staring at Garrett, and Garrett stared back.

My life ends today.

She looked confused. "Sorry, we don't want to buy anything," she said, almost closing the door on him.

Garrett shook his head. "No, I'm not selling anything, I'm actually Nafisa's friend."

My moms expression changed quickly, as she looked over at me.

I put my head down in shame.

My mom turned back to Garrett, nodding her head at him.

"I'm Garrett, it's nice to meet you, uh- auntie."

I looked at him in surprise. He was adapting so quickly, it made me proud.

No, I should be mad at him.

My mom stared at him confused, sending my side glances. "Okay, hello," my mom said, sounding unsure.

Oh my god, this is not going to end well.

"I'm here to get help on my homework from Nafisa," he said, lifting up the textbook.

I massaged my temples. He was not making the situations any better. Ya Allah, I am so going to kill him.

"Okay, come in, come in," my mom said, giving him way to enter the house.

Garrett walked into my house, looking around.

"You can sit in the living room, I need to tell Nafisa something," my mom said, signaling me to follow her to the kitchen.

Garrett nodded, taking a seat on the couch, beside my where my laptop was placed.

I nervously followed my mom into the kitchen, and faced her while biting my lip.

"Nafisa," she began. "You-you know this boy?"

I nodded my head, looking down. To be honest, I was expecting to get slapped.

"He's- he's in my class. He was also on the debate team with me."

She pursed her lips together. "How does this boy know our house?"

"Mom, come on, he's waiting for me, he's going to think somethings wrong if I stay in here," I said, avoiding the topic.