Chapter Nineteen: Don't Worry, I Like It

I watched the dull grey clouds over me, and I frowned. It's going to rain when I have to walk back home, I already know it. I have the worst luck.

I sighed heavily, accepting my fate, walking to the entrance of the school.

As I was walking to my first class, from the corner of my eye, I saw Sana walking to her class. I immediately walked up to her and tapped her shoulder.

"Hey, listen-"

She whipped her head towards my direction, and glared at me. She glared at me.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, and she just turned around to walk away from me.

I grabbed her arm, pulling her back to me. "Hey, Sana, what's wrong?" I asked, sounding concerned.

She looked at me in disbelief. "You're asking me what's wrong?"

I nodded my head slowly, confused. Then it hit me. Saturday. She was mad about how I blew her off.

"I'm sorry, I didn't come, I was-"

"You were what, huh?" She demanded. "What were you doing on Saturday?"

I bit my lip and looked down. "Something came up," I whispered quietly.

"Garrett came up, right?" She said, and then shook her head in pure disappointment. "I never thought you would choose Garrett over me, your best friend."

I widened my eyes. How did she know?

She crossed her arms over her chest, reading my thoughts. "You thought I would never find out. I have my sources, Nafisa."

My heart raced fast. "I'm sorry!" I cried. "I didn't know-"

"You didn't know?" She said, raising her eyebrows. "You didn't know how much I needed you to come?"

I looked to the ground, not saying anything. I was too guilty for words.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me you were tutoring Garrett. Were you even planning to?"

I nodded my head wildly. "I swear, I was!" I protested.

She just scoffed angrily. "You were too busy going on a date with a white boy," she muttered under her breath, looking away from me.

"It was not a date!" I argued. "He just invited me to go to Wonderland with him, and I accepted."

She rolled her eyes, and then sighed heavily. "I never thought you would be the one to do this, Nafisa. I thought you were better than that." I could feel her staring at me, but I refused to look up. "I'm telling you, Garrett isn't a person you should be hanging out with."

I took a deep breath. "I'm just helping him out with school work."

"Right," she mumbled, rolling her eyes again. "You went to Wonderland to measure the slopes of the roller coasters."

"Sana!" I exclaimed.

"Listen," she said, looking everywhere but at my face. "I'm done with talking to you as of right now." With that, she adjusted her backpack, and strolled awa.

My heart fell, as I watched her walk away. What have I done? I thought, stuffing my face in my hands.

***

I heard the school bell ring, signaling that it was lunch. Everyone in my English class got up from their seats.

"The essay is due at the end of the week!" The teacher attempted to yell over the chattering of the students, but they all just left the classroom.