Clueless (Marshall Traver) - Part 1

It was just another Friday afternoon – you were sitting in your English class, listening to your teacher go on and on about yet another project. Truthfully, you weren't really paying attention, knowing the handout Mr. Goldstein was going to give you would have everything you needed to know anyway. However, when he mentioned the word partner, you perked up slightly.

You breathed a small sigh of relief when he announced that he would be assigning the groups – you didn't have any friends and you knew that when anyone asked you to be your partner, it was only because they knew they wouldn't actually be doing any work.

"Miss Y/L/N," your teacher said, taking your attention away from your thoughts, "You'll be working with Mr. Traver." You let out the breath you didn't realize you were holding.

You heard everyone groan quietly at hearing they weren't paired with you, but in the midst of those groans, you could hear laughing as well. You looked over your shoulder and saw Marshall's friends poking fun at him, making you sigh lightly. You turned back to face the front of the room – not even noticing the way Marshall was watching you – and sunk down in your seat.

Marshall Traver was high school royalty – practically destined to receive the title of prom king. There was never a moment when girls weren't hanging all over him in the hallways. Not that you minded, of course. If the attention on Marshall kept people away from putting attention on you, you certainly weren't going to complain.

You'd always been the target for bullies – you had been ever since freshman year. You thought that as time went on, they would get tired of picking on you and move on to someone else, but they never did. When you weren't being pushed around by the jocks, you were being verbally tormented by the popular girls. It was a never-ending cycle of shoves into walls and "Did Mommy let you dress yourself this morning?"

When the bell finally rung to signal the end of another school day, you quickly gathered up your books and hurried out the door – you tried not to stick around for very long after school because that was when people liked to pick on you the most. While you were standing at your locker, packing up your homework, you heard someone approach you and lean against the locker next to yours.

They didn't make a bit of noise, but it still made you flinch, thinking it was another bully. Your head snapped up and you found Marshall looking at you with a curious expression on his face, obviously wondering why you had jumped. You both looked at each other for a moment before he said anything.

"So," Marshall chirped, crossing his arms over his stomach, "Since Mr. Goldstein only gave us two weeks to do our project, I figured we should probably go ahead and get started tomorrow."

"W-We?" you murmured, your voice so low that you didn't think he heard it.

"Yeah, we," he replied, "We're partners, Y/N. Did you think I was gonna make you do it by yourself?" You swallowed lightly when he said your name.

"I don't know... I just thought..." you trailed off.

"Well, I'm not," he told you, "So tomorrow?" You nodded your head slowly. "Cool," he smiled, "Do you want to come over to my house or should I go to yours? Or we could go to the library or something if you're more comfortable with that."

"Won't people see us if we go to the library?" you asked quietly, wondering why he would want to be seen with you outside of school.

"Come on, Y/N," he said, "Who goes to the library anymore?" You couldn't help but giggle, making him smile.

"Your house is fine," you said.

"Alright," he nodded, "Do you know where it is?" You shook your head no and he pulled out his phone. "Here," he said after creating a new contact and holding it out for you to take, "Put your number in. I'll text you tomorrow when you can come over." You did as he asked, blushing slightly when your hands touched as you gave the phone back to him. "I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N," he smiled, stuffing his phone back into his pocket and waving as he walked away.