Kids Undercover (Ashton Irwin)

You were lying on the trampoline in your backyard with your boyfriend. It was Friday night and you and Ashton were spending it the same way you always did; Tangled up together, looking at the stars. You were simply enjoying each others company as this was something you only really got to do once a week. You had seen him at his basketball game a couple hours earlier – being on the cheer squad, it was nearly impossible for you to never not see him – but you could never just go up to him and talk to him.

Your relationship with Ashton was a total secret to everyone at school. You were the one that wanted to keep it a secret though, honestly terrified that your two best friends wouldn't approve. They absolutely despised nearly everything about Ashton – the only positive things they would ever agree on was that he was a phenomenal basketball player as well as extremely good looking. You were scared that they would stop being your friends just because you were dating Ashton.

"Babe?" Ashton whispered, snapping you out of your daydream.

"Hmm?" you hummed.

"I think we should tell everyone about us..." You slowly propped yourself up on your forearm.

"Ashton-" He cut you off.

"I don't want to have to sneak around the way we do anymore, Y/N," he sighed, sitting up. You sat up with him. "I don't like doing this. I don't like seeing you at school or at the mall or at my games and not be allowed to kiss you or tell you how beautiful you look. I hate not being able to pick you up in the mornings or take you out after school. It hurts knowing that you don't want to tell everyone that we're together," he mumbled, "It's like you're ashamed to be with me."

"I'm not ashamed to be with you, Ash," you said quietly. You crawled into his lap and took his face in your hands, making him look at you. "I just... I'm nervous about how my friends will react."

"If you're nervous they'll say mean things about me, just say it." You bit your lip and he knew he was right. "I can handle rude comments, Y/N," he said softly, realizing that his previous tone was a bit harsh, "I just want to be with you openly and let everyone else know that you're mine and I'm yours."

"I know, Ash," you whispered, brushing your thumb along his cheekbone, "But I want to tell Mia and Allison when we're alone; Not at school. And I'm just not ready to do that yet."

"Okay," he sighed and nodded, kissing you gently, "I love you."

"I love you so much, Ashton," you muttered, wrapping your arms around his neck.

~

A little over a month had passed and things with you and Ashton were a little tense. He would still come over as often as he could to hang out with you, but you could tell he was hurt that you still hadn't told your friends about the two of you yet. You were trying to gather the courage to, but it just wasn't building up as quickly as Ashton – or you – would have liked. You had been so close to telling them multiple times during cheer practices, but you would always chicken out.

You were mad at yourself, honestly. Ashton was hurt because of something you wouldn't do for him and that made you feel terrible. You hated sneaking around too – he knew you did – but you still couldn't make yourself go public.

~

One Friday night, you saw Ashton standing with his friends as you were making your way into the gym for the basketball game. It took everything in you not to tell him how good he looked in his uniform and to resist every urge you had to just grab his face and kiss him right then and there.

You and Ashton made eye contact for a few seconds before he quickly looked at his feet as you passed him. You sighed quietly, swallowing the lump in your throat. He looked back up, obviously hearing you, and watched as you put on a smile for your two friends standing in the area behind the hoop waiting for you.