Forget About It (Cody Carson)

Cody's POV

"Mom, you can't possibly expect me to work with her!" the Prince whined.

"You've never even met the girl!" his mother replied.

"And I was hoping I would never have to," he mumbled quietly, "The Prince should not be associating with the help."

"Listen here, young man," she scolded, "Without people like her, we would have to clean and cook by ourselves. Now you are going to go downstairs and help Y/N with the laundry and scrubbing the floors or you are going to outside and help Mr. Harris tend to the horses." Cody let out a long sigh as he angrily walked out of the room.

Your POV

Meanwhile, you were dancing around the laundry room as you swept the floor, using your broom as your dance partner. Once you finished sweeping, you filled a bucket up with soap and water to begin scrubbing the floor.

Around half an hour had passed and you were humming quietly to yourself when you heard angry footsteps coming down the stairs. You paused your work, tilting your head in the direction of the noise. The moment you saw it was the Prince, you scrambled to your feet.

"Good morning, Your Highness," you curtsied. He simply grumbled in response. The Queen had already come the previous day to explain to you what was happening, but you were still incredibly nervous.

"Just tell me what to do," Cody muttered.

"Um... Well, the clothes have already been soaking for about 5 minutes, so you can just start scrubbing whatever stains may be left, I guess. But you might wanna wait a little while longer because the water is still pretty hot." He went over to the basin as he pulled his sleeves up, starting to reach for an item of clothing when you had to stop him. "Whoa!" you squeaked, running over and grabbing his hand before it touched the hot water.

"What are you doing?" he asked, jerking his hand away.

"I just said it's still really hot!" you told him, "If you want to get burned, that's fine, but you're not doing it on my watch!" You trudged back to your spot on the floor, beginning to scrub the tiles once again.

Throughout the next couple hours, you could hear Cody mumbling to himself, complaining about how wrinkly his skin was getting and how stupid it was that his mother would force him to work with the servants.

You ignored it, of course – he was just a spoiled prince who had everything handed to him – but after a while, it was starting to get annoying. You sighed quietly, thinking he wouldn't hear you but soon finding out you were very mistaken.

"Is something wrong?" Cody asked you, throwing the shirt he had finished washing into the basket beside him.

"No, Your Highness," you said quietly.

"Excuse you," he said, "But you are to look at me when I'm speaking to you. Weren't you taught any manners?"

"Weren't you?" you shot back, looking up at him. His eyes widened slightly due to never having been back-talked by a servant before.

"I will not be spoken to this way!" he said, getting up.

"And neither will I," you replied confidently, remaining in your spot on the floor, "I may just be a servant, Your Highness, but I'm still a person and I will not be treated as anything lower than that. You need to understand that without the people who work for you, you would have to be the one to work for everything you get and it's about time you stopped treating us like garbage and started being more polite."