Second Chances (Ashton Irwin)

"I can't do this anymore!" you exclaimed, grabbing your car keys off the counter.

"You can't do what anymore?" your boyfriend, Kyle, asked.

"Us!"

"Y/N-"

"You and I both know it's not working, Kyle," you sighed, "We fight way too much and I can't keep putting myself through it. I'll be back for my stuff in the morning." You quickly left before he had the chance to say anything that would make you stay. You meant what you said; You couldn't do it anymore.

You rushed across town to your friend Michael's place. You and Michael weren't best friends, but you were close enough that if you ever needed someone to vent to, you knew he would listen.

You finally made it to his apartment and started knocking on the door. When the door opened, you tilted your head in confusion.

"You're not Michael," you stated obviously.

"I will take that as a compliment," the guy standing in front of you smiled, "I'm Ashton. Michael went out to... Well, I don't know what he's doing exactly, but he's not here at the moment."

"Typical Michael," you mumbled, making Ashton laugh.

"Do you want to come in a wait for him?"

"Sure," you replied, walking past him.

"Are you okay?" he asked as you both took a seat on the couch beside each other. You looked at him and he continued talking. "You seem like something's bothering you."

"Isn't there some rule about not talking about your exes with someone you just met?"

"I'm pretty sure that's on a first date," he chuckled, "And technically, we haven't met yet; I still don't know your name."

"Y/N," you said.

"Y/N," he smiled, the sound of him saying your name made your heart race, "Did you just tell me your name so you didn't have to talk about your ex?"

"Yes," you nodded. He rolled his eyes, grinning slightly.

"So you're single then?"

"Wow," you laughed nervously, "You're very upfront, aren't you?"

He shrugged, "I'm trying to be." You watched him carefully for a moment.

Call it what you will – a burst of confidence, a moment of weakness or vulnerability – but something happened inside you that you weren't expecting. You grabbed the back of Ashton's neck and pulled his head to yours, pressing your lips together. And you finally felt a spark again – something you hadn't felt with Kyle in a long time.

Ashton had just put his arm around your waist when you were interrupted by hearing the door opening. You immediately pulled away and Ashton jumped up, sitting back down on the other couch just before Michael walked through the door.

"Oh," Michael said when he realized you were there, "Hey, Y/N." You covered your mouth with your hand, happy you weren't facing him because you knew he would suspect something was up by the stupid grin on your face.

"Hey, Mikey," you said, quickly recomposing yourself before turning to look at him.

"Trouble in paradise again?" he asked, walking over and throwing the two movies he had went out to buy onto the coffee table as he sat down beside you.

"I guess you could say that," you sighed.

"What happened?"

"I broke up with him," you shrugged. Ashton was looking down at his phone, but it was obvious he was trying not to smile.