Chapter Forty

-short chapter, I'm sorry-

Katelyn's point of view

"Katelyn! Michael!" Luke said happily as he saw us. I was squished into a hug and I patted his back as I yawned. "I missed you guys."

"Missed you too baby." Michael said and I yawned. "Go take a nap love, I know how tiring planes can be." He said and I nodded.

I gave a wave to Luke and then went back up to my old room. I jumped on to the bed and then cuddled my pillow, yawning loudly as my body relaxed into the duvet that was warm.

I pulled it over me, not even bothing with my boots, and then closed my eyes. I hummed and then the bed dipped down. "I'm gonna lay down with you."  Michael said and I turned around to face him.

"Mee too!" Luke said and the bed bounced as he presumably jumped on to the bed. I chuckled lightly and I heard Michael laughed.

"Hands above the belt Luke. I'm tired and Katelyn is right here." Michael said and I had no energy whatsoever to tell them to leave if they're gonna keep talking.

All I could do is let myself drift off to sleep.

-

"Katelyn, it's time for dinner." I heard someone say and I shook my head. "I'll give you a present?"

"I'm up." I said and jumped up out of bed. "What's my present? What's for dinner?"

"Luke just ordered out some fried chicken and stuff. As for your present, it's a hug-"

"Fuck you." I said and fell back on to the bed. He laughed and then threw me over his shoulder before making me leave my room.

"Come on, you need to get up and have dinner with us and watch Elf with us. It's a little family thing. Please?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, okay. That doesn't sound too bad." I told him and he sat me down on the couch before sitting down beside Luke. "When do we go to your parents' house?"

"You'll go the rest of this week with Michael, next week with me, and then the band will have a day or two together." Luke answered and I nodded, taking in the schedules.

I'm at the bitchy, money hungry parents for a week.

The queen of mum's house for a week  (and the brother who is supposedly better than Luke).

Then I see the four morons all together again.

Sounds easy enough to remember and get through.

"That's you're plate on the coffee table." He said and I nodded as I sat down on the floor. I pulled the table closer and then grabbed my fork.

"I need to go to the store one last time for a present." I said and they looked at me. "It's just one place, you can buy all the things there."

"Where?"

"Just some nearby music store. It's nothing much." I said and they nodded. "So, can I?"

"Yeah, my parents won't mind us going over there around noon." Michael said and I nodded. "Who's it for?"

"I'm not going to tell." I I said and held a finger up to my lips. "It's not for you guys though, I have those already. They just need to be shipped. They should be here by next week." I said and he rolled his eyes.

"You didn't have to."

"You pulled me out of that adoption center and you haven't taken me back, yeah, I really do have to." I said and Luke looked away since I know he wanted too take me back before.

Maybe he still does, who knows?

"You don't need to repay us for that. It's okay." Michael said and chuckled. I shrugged and then ate my food as the movie started.

"I think I need to uh do something." Luke said and stood up. He walked upstairs and I looked at Michael. He shook his head and I sighed.

I watched as Luke went back downstairs and then headed out towards the backyard. "I'm going to go get him." I said and he nodded.

I stood up and headed back outside. I closed the door quickly and saw Luke sitting down on a lawn chair, something between his lips that's causing smoke to escape his mouth.

Lord knows what this kid let's in his body.

I walked over to him and then pulled the thing out of his fingers. "It's not healthy you know." I said and looked at the cigarette. "You'll ruin yourself."

"I already am ruined. Give it back and go inside." He said and I stopped his hand before he could grab it back. "Katelyn, come on."

"No smoking," I said and tossed it on the floor, the wet grass putting it out almost immediately. My boot stomping on it didn't give it much luck to survive either.

"Katelyn, you don't understand-"

"Smoking? Because I do Luke and you know I do. I did it for a week or so, then Jacob smokes, then you smoke, hell, Calum smokes sometimes. You need to stop. I know you think it's fine, but it's not." I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Why are you even out here with me? You should hate me and not care about how I feel and what I'm doing." He muttered and I looked at him.

"I'm here because I don't hate you and I do care about you and your actions. Maybe I don't like you as much as I did in the beginning, but I still care about you. I have no reason to stop caring about you as a person." I said and he looked at me.

"I was an asshole-"

"Was means past tense and you can't change it, just learn from it." I said and he sighed. "Come on, I should have seen it coming and I shouldn't have overreacted. It's... it's fine." I said and shrugged. "Come on, don't be a grouch during the month of Christmas."

"I'm not being grouch, I'm just guilty."He confessed and I sighed. "I fucked up really badly and you seem to just not care."

"Oh I care, but it's forgiven. Come on, just cheer up. Don't feel guilty. It's in the past." I said and he looked at me. "Come back inside with me and Michael. We need to be together, not all split up like this."

"Yeah, you're right." He said and sighed. He stood up and then pulled me into a hug. "I promise I'll be a better father and I promise not to fuck up as much. This Christmas will be the best."

"It will be. Now, let's get inside and watch that movie." I said and he nodded as he followed me back inside. "Also," I said and reached into his picket, pulling his cigarette pack out. "None of this."

"Bu-"

"Nope." I said and walked into the living room with Luke behind me. I sat down by the table and Luke unzipped his hoodie on fore sitting beside Michael. "Don't give it to him, even if he does offer a blowjob." I said and gave Michael the pack.

"Don't be nasty-"

"I was gonna do that, she's smart." Luke said and I laughed as I nodded. "Lets finish this movie and then go up to Michael's gaming room. We can play some Blacks Ops 3."

"Oh my god that came out already huh?" Michael said and I nodded. "This movie better end fast, shit." He said and I rolled my eyes as I chuckled.

-

Question of the chapter:

- What do you guys want for Christmas?

Author's answer:

- I just want my parents to stop fighting honestly. It sucks.

Reader's answer:

-