Chap. 1

How is it possible to fit in when you are the piece of copper that stands out in a priceless perfect set of diamonds?

How do you pretend that you are not the freak? That you don't know that people are whispering behind your back? That maids laugh and mock you every chance they get.

Well the answer is simple.

You can't.

I know this better than anyone. I was that worthless piece of metal. I was the disgrace. I was the one that stood out everywhere I went. The one whose own father didn't want anything to do with her. I was the half-breed.

You may ask how and why?

18 nearly 19 years ago, I was conceived out of a union between a Latina maid and a rich millionaire. I always wondered why my mother Esther-Maria was so stupid to have ever fallen for the most known trap to man.

It was a typical rich man story; she was in love with her boss, they slept together and promised love to each other. Maybe he promised to leave his wife and marry her. I don't know but one thing for sure was, he was a rake.

He took advantage of her vulnerability. And that was how I was conceived. Of course, upon finding out the news of his upcoming child he was furious. This situation would forever destroy and change his life and taint his reputation.

His wife was furious, his children were furious, his parents were furious and his in-laws were furious. And that fury was refocused onto me. I was the unwanted. I was the child of the tramp.

The maid Esther-Maria, was accused of being a home wrecker. A slut, a tramp, practically every name in the book and then some. I knew this because certain people continue to use these words on her. Not with the same intensity but people do whisper it under their breath. I guess some people would never change.

My 'father' was a rake but he could not turn his back on his responsibility so easily. Up to now I don't understand why. Why he would even agree to keep me or my mother in his mansion.

Nevertheless, he put up with my mother. He continued to let her live in the mansion as a maid. The man would never acknowledge me as his own. He stayed clear away from me. The man would never even give my mother extra money to look after his own child. She looked after me out of the expenses of her job.  I lived in the quarters with the rest of the employees. I was just a regular girl except with a stigma.

A stigma that I did not even earn. It became my birthright and I never stood a chance. Everything was set against me. His family was against me except his wife.

I loved that woman. It's weird to say that about your step-mother because everyone expects the other woman to be an enemy but she, she was different. She was an angel. She was sweet and kind. She never ever was rude to my mother. She helped me at times, bringing me clothes and toys and books. Like I said she was a real angel. She even gave me pocket money. 

But it's sad to say that the rest of the family wasn't like her. They weren't even a quarter as nice as her. They were vicious as they were cruel. Take my father, for instance, he ignored my very existence. He never looked at me. And my half-brothers and sisters teased me mercilessly and it was their life's goal to make mine disastrous. I went to the same prestigious school as they did, thanks to my stepmother, but it was at the cost of suicide.