Chapter Fifteen: Lydian's Gambit

Start from the beginning

"There is no we," I growled.

Soren stepped in between us. "Alright, alright. I can't believe I'm the one saying this but both of you just calm down. We need to get out of here and we need to know what Lydian is planning. If he's planning anything." He shot a glance at Seppo. "I know when you lie to me."

Seppo rolled his eyes. "I'm all about cordiality."

Soren rose an eyebrow at me.

I gave him a withering look. "I won't shove your feather staff up your ass."

"I appreciate that."

"Come on," Soren sighed. "We shouldn't stay here. The water is riling us up." He headed for an opening in the chasm, one that glittered with blue light. "The darker the ice, the lower we are, I know that."

I followed, boosting myself up into the crack and squeezing in after Soren. Seppo was right on my tail and for a long time we climbed up the dark, cold slit in silence. The sides soon opened up and bright like dazzled me.

The last ledge was just within my reach but when I stretched, the rock underneath my feet gave away. Before I could fall Seppo dove ahead, catching me with his broad shoulders. "That's three times now," he said.

"Are we counting?"

"Yes."

I snorted with contempt and with muscles burning, I flopped down onto the solid ground of a cliff-side cave. Still wet from my swim, the artic air chilled me to the bone. I rubbed my arms but nothing worked.

Soren watched from where he sat, frowned, then came over and set me in his lap. One of his hands played absentmindedly with my hair.

Heat rose from my body. It was so human. When I turned my questioning gaze to him, he smirked. "You're cold. I'm not. We lost all our supplies."

Seppo eyed us with a mixture of disgust and curiosity. Glaring, I mouthed 'feather staff' and whatever he was about to say died on his lips. Instead he shook himself and said. "So, now that we're all above ground and nice and cozy, let's talk about Lydian."

"I will shove that staff up your ass, you know."

Seppo's eyes narrowed.

"So, Lydian. What does my dear uncle have in store?" Soren's voice was dark with fury. For all I knew about him, only little was about his relationship with his uncle. They hated each other as plain as day, but otherwise his name was never spoken in the manor.

I sat up, but leaned a little against Soren's shoulders. Whatever happened, his scent of wood-smoke and pine needles calmed my restless hear. Lydian can't hurt you. You're so strong now.

Soren purred. "You being close. One of his hands wrapped around my waist. His fingers splayed and stroked the bare skin underneath my tunic and I shivered in delight. "I like it. A little too much, I think, for this conversation."

"Sorry." I began to straighten.

"No, stay where you are. We can hear about the plotting of my horrific uncle and have our skin touch at the same time. I can multitask."

I almost laughed. If someone told me a year ago this would happen, I'd say they were crazy. But now, it was almost like I was the crazy one. But the happiness would die a quick death if Lydian came anywhere near the throne, so I straightened despite Soren's protest and leaned back against the dank cave wall.