twenty five

The sound of Lily's cries blares in my ear at 4 in the morning. I sigh and get out of bed, walking to Lily's room. I pick up the distressed child from her crib and rock her to calm her down. I feed her, then sit down in my rocking chair to rock her back to sleep, humming softly to sooth her. She eventually goes back to sleep but abruptly wakes up crying as soon as I step out of her room. Surprisingly enough, she stops crying once I come over to her crib; so I sit in the rocking chair and go to sleep, Lily sleeping peacefully beside me.

Around 9, Luke walks in the room and shakes me awake.

"The bed is lonely without you," he says with a small smile.

"Sorry," I say, resting my head on my hand. "Baby cries are so loud. I have a pounding headache."

"How about you go take some aspirin and go back to bed? I'll take care of Lily if she cries," Luke suggests, holding out his hand to help me up out of the chair.

"Thank you babe," I say, kissing his cheek on my way out of the room.

I walk to the kitchen and grab a glass of water, and take some aspirin to cure my headache. I hear Lily crying and I want to rush to her, but I know she is safe in Luke's hands so I proceed to go to the bedroom. Once Lily's cries are silenced, Luke comes into the bedroom and lays down beside me, slinging one arm around my still-inflated torso.

"She looks so much like her beautiful mum," he says, pressing a kiss to my shoulder.

I turn to face him and smile. I don't say anything, we just lay there, staring at each other, a smile plastered on both of our faces. Every once in a while he'll kiss my lips, or my forehead, or my shoulder or anywhere else he can find. He repeats 'I love you's occasionally and makes sure I understand how much he does. I always reply to him with understanding and repeat it back to him, which earns a cute little giggle from him. We join hands and scoot our heads close together, touching foreheads.

"I'm gonna miss you while you're on tour," I say, looking at our hands that are intertwined on the bed inbetween us.

"We don't need to worry about that right now babe. We still have 2 and a half weeks," he whispers, rubbing his thumb against mine.

"How long will you be gone?" I ask, ignoring his statement.

He sighs. "I'm not sure. I'm just trying to spend as much time with you and Lil as I can."

"We're trying to do the same," I agree.

There's quite a long amount of silence between us before one of my many insane thoughts jump out of my mouth.

"So we got a wedding invitation in the mail the other day," I say.

"Oh yeah? From who?"

"My step dad," I say.

"Whoa they're getting married? I didn't know that," he says, shocked.

"Yeah I think they've been engaged for almost a year," I nod.

"Oh okay. So are we gonna go?"

"I dunno. Half of me wants to, but the other half doesn't. The wedding is in a month and a half, and I'm not sure yet if I wanna go by myself or not," I explain.

"Well its up to you. But I think you should go, you know, show off Lily," he says, chuckling slightly as he finishes his sentence.

"Yeah, maybe I will go," I nod, yawning.

Luke lifts up his head and motions for me to cuddle into him. I do so and lay my head right below his arm, pressing my face into his chest. My eyelids start to get heavy and Luke notices, so he tells me to get some rest. I obey and close my eyes, peacefully drifting off to sleep with Luke's fingers tracing mystery shapes into my arm. He kisses my forehead and the last thing I hear is him whisper "I love you princess."