Series 8 Episode 8: Mummy on the Orient Express (Part 6)

P.O.V: Clara Oswald

Maisie and I were going through some papers we had found in a box.

"Okay. So, first things first. The sarcophagus is actually a secure stasis unit." I said.

"Yes. It's where they want us to put the Foretold if we capture it." The Doctor replied.

"Well, that would have been good to know." I glanced over at Maisie, she seemed to be doing okay.

"Sorry" Was all the Doctor said. "Teeny bit busy round here. What else?"

I shuffled through some more papers, and I heard a voice in the background of the call. "Please terminate you call and return to work." Gus! Traitor.

"We have some paperwork. Passenger manifests from other ships. Maisie recognized a couple of the names. These are missing ships."

I heard the Doctor pause. "So, we're not the first."

"No." I said ruefully. I heard the voice again. "Please terminate your call and return to work."

"I've got some progress reports." I added. I hoped Gus wouldn't do anything rash. "The Gloriana spent three days getting picked off by the Foretold . All died. Performance marked as poor. The Valiant Heart. Forty two crew, four died. Performance, promising."

I heard several voices on the other line, "Please terminate your call and return to work." and "I think you should do as it says." Quell.

"Clara, I have to go." The Doctor said suddenly, and hung up.

***************************

P.O.V: The Doctor

"Clara, I have to go." The chefs and kitchen equipment were floating outside of the carriage, their faces dead and pale, lifeless.

"I'm sorry. I know that must have been distressing for you. But if you are disobedient again, I will decompress another area containing less valuable passengers." Gus's voice held straight sarcasm and false serenity and kindness

"Less valuable passengers? How does it choose?" I asked.

"Well, I'm assuming qualifications---" Perkins added, but that's not what I was looking for.

"No, no, no. Not the computer, the Foretold. How does it choose who to kill? We've assumed it's random. What if it's not? I want full histories on all the victims. Medical, social, personal.

"Well done." I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Don't mention it." I said, no real appreciation in my tone.

An hour or so passed, and Perkins and I were looking at all the records of all the passengers, dead or alive.

"Doesn't seem to be any pattern. Their travel history, interests, health. It's all over the shop. Health?" Perkins asked.

"Health? Are you sure? Mrs Pitt, the first victim. She was over a hundred years old. The frailest passenger on board." I thought for a moment. What was the connection?

"Oh but the next to go, the chef, was young and fit. It's random."

"The chef was ill." Quell spoke up.

Perkins and I turned to look at him. "What?"

"A rare blood disorder. Not contagious, but we kept it quiet." Quell had his hands placed on a lab table, leaning against it an angst.

"Because he worked with food. The next one, the guard?" I asked. Things were coming together!

"He wasn't ill as such, but he did have synthetic lungs implanted last year." Quell added.