Series 7 Episode 9: Hide (Part 4)

P.O.V: The Doctor

Palmer and I were developing some film.

"I had a little peek at your records, back at the Ministry. You've certainly seen a thing or two in your time. Disrupting U-boat operations across the North Sea, sabotaging railway lines across Europe. Operation Gibbon. The one with the carrier pigeons, brilliant. I do love a carrier pigeon." I told him. The room was dark, it was hard to see his face.

"I did my duty, but then so did thousands of others. Millions of others. I was just lucky enough to come back." I could hear the regret and sorrow deep throughout his voice.

I sighed. "Yes, but how does that man, that war hero, end up here in a lonely old house, looking for ghosts?"

"Because I killed, and I caused to have killed. I sent young men and women to their deaths, but here I am, still alive and it does tend to haunt you. Living, after so much of the other thing. You see, I was alone and unmarried and I didn't mind dying. I mean, not for that cause. It was a very, very fine cause, defeating the enemy."

"And if you could contact them, what would you say?" He paused.

"Well, I'd very much like to thank them."

The film was done! "Ah ha. Ping!" I hung the photograph up to dry.

We examined the photo. "Who do you think she is?" Palmer asked. The photo had me in it, with the screaming face of the ghost in the background. Odd.

"Not what I thought she'd be."

"What did you think she's be?" He asked, confused. He'd only known so much about ghosts.

"Fun. Can I borrow your camera? Ta."

*******************************

P.O.V: Clara Oswald

"So, you and Professor Palmer, have you ever, you know?" I raised me eyebrows and looked at Emma. She seemed a little surprised, and answered quickly.

"No." She looked away.

I held back a little giggle. "Why not? You do know how he feels about you, don't you? You, of all people?"

"I don't know. People like me, sometimes we get our signals mixed up. We think people are feeling the way we want them to feel, you know, when they are special to us, when really there's nothing there." Her eyes kept away from me, even though I kept eye contact.

"Oh, this is there." I said happily.

She finally looked up, her eyes curious. "How do you know?"

"Because it's obvious. It sticks out like a big chin."

Emma raised her eyebrows slightly. "What about you and the Doctor?"

"Oh, I don't think so." I said rather fast. But I was telling the truth! It would never work, and I was fine with that.

She went back to staring at her hands. "Good."

Did I hear her right? "Sorry?"

"Don't trust him. There's a sliver of ice in his heart."

Before I could respond I heard the Doctor call my name from another room.

I left the room abruptly and headed outside with the Doctor. It was pouring rain, and the Tardis had parked in what appeared to be old cloisters.

I shivered, but it wasn't because of the rain. "I've got this weird feeling it's looking at me. It doesn't like me."

"The Tardis is like a cat. A bit slow to trust, but you'll get there in the end." He ran inside the Tardis and shut the door quickly. I sighed and knocked on the door. He opened it.

"Hey. You need a place to keep this." I held the umbrella above my head and shook it a little.

"I've got one. Or I had one. I think I had one. Look around. See if you find it. Did I have one? Am I going mad?" He began to swivel around, looking for a rack. I shook the water out of the umbrella and stepped inside.

The Doctor saw me and waved his hands in the air, rushing towards me. "No, not in here. How do you expect her to like you? She's soaking wet. It's a health and safety nightmare."

I sighed and looked right at the Tardis console. "Sorry. So, where are we going?" I asked the Doctor.

"Nowhere. We're staying right here. Right here, on this exact spot, if I can work out how to do it."

I paused awkwardly. "So, when are we going?"

He smiled and laughed. "Oh, that is good. That is top-notch."

"And the answer is?"

"We're going always."

"Totally."

I sighed, a little mad. "That's not actually a sentence." The Doctor pulled out his orange foreign environment suit and put it on.

"Well, it's got a verb in it. What do you think?"

I looked away from the suit, too bright. "Color's a bit boisterous." I said.

"I think it brings out my eyes."

"Makes my eyes hurt."