Top Ten Saddest Doctor Who Episodes (From Series 1-8 of New Who)

Obviously, as you may have guessed, I am going to be doing Doctor Who top tens. Feel free to suggest some top tens if you wish! I'll list the episode, then the reasons why and some commentary behind it. This list is of episodes that it it's entirety, are very sad and tearjerkers. I'm excluding episodes that have a very sad tear jerking moment, and then the rest of the episode is fine. Another list will probably come out for Saddest Doctor Who Moments. SPOILER ALERT (obviously)! Enjoy!

10: The Runaway Bride

Reasoning: Although the episode itself is rather fun and enjoyable, as the whole episode goes on we have many moments where we see Rose. After two seasons of the Doctor and Rose and just after the heartbreaking separation of Doomsday, having multiple references to her is pretty heartbreaking. And yes, when the Doctor and Donna are on the roof and he talks about Rose, I was pretty close to tears. Just not having Rose there was sad in of itself.

9: The Girl Who Waited

Reasoning: This episode was definitely a tearjerker. It began when Amy went through the wrong door, and she was stuck in that room, and the Doctor was explaining to her how people watched their infected loved ones age, right in front of them. We all knew that was foreshadowing, and it already was bleak. When Amy said she'd been in the room for a week, we knew this was a turning point. For me this was definitely saddening. When Rory sees Amy as an older woman, but he still loves her and thinks she's beautiful, that was a big one. The ending was really sad as well, as Older Amy was left behind and died.

8: Last of the Time Lords

Reasoning: This episode was when The Master returned as Harry Saxon and has taken over Earth. The Doctor has been transformed into a hideous, small, caged creature, and Martha has the task of (over the course of an entire year) saving humanity. Martha's family has been enslaved, the Doctor is incapacitated, and Martha has to save the human race on her own. This episode is all the more saddening when Martha decided to leave the Doctor, and declare her love for him just before she goes.

7: The Angels Take Manhattan

Reasoning: The episode begins already making us nostalgic, as the Doctor recalls how he's been travelling with the duo for quite a while, and he hates endings. He also notes that Amy's getting older, as he points out her reading glasses and slight wrinkles. We as the audience already knew that this was our last episode with the duo, as the media so graciously pointed out. It begins when Rory is taken back in time to the early 1900's, and we see him as an old man. It's so heartbreaking to think that poor Rory lived out his life without Amy for years, until his death. The saddest part of all is when they're in the graveyard, and they're all happy and talking about going to the pub, and then Rory is taken. Amy's last words are the saddest of all. "Raggedy man, goodbye."

6: The Parting of the Ways

Reasoning: We the audience knew this was our last episode with Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, and the new New Who fans were devastated, as this was their first regeneration. Getting to know and love this Doctor, and after just one season having him regenerate, was tough. The episode begins on a good note, as the Doctor and Jack rescue Rose from the Daleks, after he thought she had perished. The episode goes on to have all the people on Satellite Five to be killed, Lynda with a Y included. The Doctor realizes there is no hope, and so he tricks Rose and sends her home, safe. This is all the more heartbreaking as we know The Doctor truly cares for her, and can't say a proper goodbye in person. The sadness continues when The Doctor's hologram emergency protocol appears in front of her. This part almost made me cry, especially when he looks her right in the eyes and tells her to have a good life. The kiss between them wasn't really sad, it was more surprising for me. We all know he loved her though! When he regenerates and David Tennant comes on screen, we were all holding back tears. Or we let them out. I don't know, it depends on the person.