Chapter Fifteen - In which we go on a date

Start from the beginning

"Never mind," George says waving his hands and smiling at me. But I can't let it go. What does he mean? Yes these past few months have gone by pretty quickly but each and every moment has been worth it. Is he worried that things will change when he leaves Hogwarts? My mouth suddenly becomes dry as it dawns on me that he's only going to be here for a few more months. I hadn't even considered that. I chew slowly as I think about all the times I've told George to leave me alone so I could study in peace. I've been wasting what little time I have with him!

George's eyes snap to mine and I know he knows what I'm thinking. It's probably clear as day on my face. There's so much I want to tell him, but time's running out. Should I even bother with the truth or continue the way we are? At least then we'll be happy. 

"Let's not worry about that now. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned anything today." He says quickly and a part of me does want to scold him for bringing this up on our first date. But then at the same time I think about the fact that this has been bothering him for a while now. How long has he kept this from me? Looks like I'm not the only one who keeps things in this relationship. 

"Here, have a banana," he says thrusting one in my hand. I take with a small laugh. Bananas was the first question he asked me about way back when things were different. Little did I know where I would end up and how that same guy who thought I was badass for dumping butterbeer all over Lavender would remember to exclude it in the picnic basket because he just knows

"George?" I ask after a pause. "What are you most afraid of?" I continue and his eyebrows snap up in surprise.

"Where's this coming from?" he asks causing me to redden slightly.

"I just wanted to know you better. The parts that you don't tell anyone," I say in a low voice, my cheeks reddening slightly. I catch his gaze and it's thoughtful. I though he'd be more disapproving since I'm not the best at sharing information so why should he?

"Okay how about we ask each other a question and we have to answer truthfully no matter what?" He offers as my heart rate picks up. 

"Sure," my voice is almost inaudible but he smiles at me making me feel protected and safe. I know there's no reason to be scared but it's like I don't want him to find out too much. I don't want to jeopardise anything. 

"I know there's a war coming," he says in a serious tone. "And I know you lose people. Not just in death but people change and all. But what I'm scared about is what happens after. I don't- I can't think about it. I don't want to picture a world without people I care about, but at the same time a part of me knows that it's childish to think everyone will be okay and the same after it," he says, his voice trailing off at the end. Instinctively I grab his hand and squeeze it. Never would I have pegged George to be someone who thinks about the impending war so much. I thought that's something that only I did. 

"War won't change me," I mutter staring ahead causing George to raise his eyebrows.

"How can you be so sure?" 

"I think it only brings out the true reflection of who you are. The parts that you try to hide, the parts you wish didn't exist, everything." I mutter in the same tone. I haven't ever told anyone this nor have I voiced it aloud. I guess it's because I feel like once I do it fixes my fate. Because I doubt I can run from the monster when all hell breaks loose.

"That's one way of thinking about it. Another way is that you see those parts and choose to be different. In that way you come out a better person and stronger than you were at the start," George says in a soft voice as he meets my eyes. I smile at him as yet again he's managed to offer a different opinion on something that's been bothering me for ages. Not just any old opinion, but something that makes sense. 

Maybe I will be stronger after it.

"My turn," George says snapping me out of my thoughts. Nervous would be an understatement as I fidget impatiently whilst he thinks of a question. 

"If you could tell me anything and I would forget the second after, what would you say?" George asks, his eyes filled with curiosity, as goosebumps appear on my arms. It's a weird question but at the same time I know why he's asking it. He's testing to see if I'll open up to him. He would never ask me a direct question about my secrets and past and I guess this is the best alternative. Either way I'm glad this is the question he asked. 

"The truth?" I ask in a small voice. What could I possibly tell him? I can't tell him about my past. I can't tell him about my curse. My eyes widen as I realise there is one thing I could tell George Weasley that would answer the question honestly. 

I could tell him how I feel. 

"I would tell you," I say as I lean over the picnic basket and stare into his eyes. I watch as he stiffens slightly at my movement and have to stop myself from smirking. "That I've had a rough start in life and one I prefer to stay in the past. That because of it there was a time when I thought I didn't deserve to be loved or love." I say in a low voice as his pupils dilate. "But I don't think that anymore and haven't done since I met you," I whisper with a smile playing on my lips. It's surprisingly easy to admit all that. I guess it's because in a way I'm not admitting to the fact that I really really really like him. Just that he's opened me up in ways that I never thought possible for someone like me. 

"I'm glad," he whispers back staring into my eyes. "And in that second I would reply you won't ever have to think that again," he says putting a hand on my cheek. I sink into it as my mind races. Does that mean he's in it for the long haul? Does that mean his feelings are as intense as mine? Questions run through my mind as my eyes search for answers in his.

He smirks at me, clearly fully aware of the mind daze he's put me in. He closes the gap between us, kissing me lightly. It catches me off guard and I freeze. But then I melt into his arms as our lips move in synch with each other. 

My hand slips from his shoulder causing me to loose balance and I fall onto the basket underneath me hearing a horrible squelch. George stares down at me in surprise but then a second later starts laughing at me. I roll my eyes at him, and despite the embarrassing situation I can't help but smile too. 

_________________________________________________________