Chapter Six: Malfunctions & the Lord

Start from the beginning

"I don't even want to know." Rei turned back to Rukia. "So anyway, who are the reinforcements? And when are we meeting them?"

"I'm not sure exactly who's coming. And as for when we meet them, they should be coming right about------" Rukia checked the clock. "---now." She glanced out the window.

Rei looked too. Sure enough, down below, several figures Flash Stepped into view. She recognized a few. There were lietenants Abarai and Matsumoto, along with four others she couldn't name. One young man had red and yellow feathers on the corners of his right eye. Another was completely bald. The third had tattoos over his face, including the number 69 on his left cheek, and the fourth had blond hair and an expression like he wished he was anywhere but here.

Rukia pushed open the window and leaned out. "Oi, Renji! Up here!" She waved down at them.

Lietenant Abarai looked up. "Rukia!"

"We'll be down there in a second." She called, sliding through the window and leaping down to the ground. Rei, Nakami, and Ichigo followed.

"Lietenant Abarai." Rei greeted, kneeling down.

"Hey, Rei." Abarai said. "Don't mind formals. Call me Renji."

"Yes sir,-----Renji."

"That's better. Have you heard what's going on?"

"Yes sir. Menos have been gathering in and around the city. What're the orders?"

Renji stretched his arms. "They're simple. We'll be stationed around the city, at strategic points where the Menos are gathering-----"

"Blah blah blah, yeah yeah, whatever." The bald guy said. "We just kill them all."

"Only if they attack first." The feathers-guy added.

Renji spoke up. "We'll be split into groups. Ikkaku, Yumichika." He pointed at the bald guy and the feathers guy. "You two will patrol the northern side of the city."

"Got it." Feathers/Yumichika said.

"Rangiku-san, Hisagi-san. Take the southern side."

"Right." The young man with the tattoos, Shuhei Hisagi, nodded.

"Rukia, Ichigo. Eastern side."

"Understood."

"Rei, Haruto. You two take the western side."

"Yes sir." Rei bowed her head.

"Kira and I will patrol the center of the city." Renji said, nodding at the young blonde man. "Is that understood, everyone?"

A chorus of 'yes' and 'got it' sounded.

"Alright. Let's go."

The Soul Reapers blurred out of sight in pairs, heading to their stations.

"You ready?" Nakami asked.

Rei smirked, her hands hovering over the two long knives at her waist. "You bet."

The two of them Flash Stepped to the western side of the city.

"Well, would you look at that." Nakami remarked, glancing down. Below their feet, a large black hole had opened in the air, right above a tall building. Dozens of Hollows, both normal and Gillian, were crawling out.

"Guess we see whether they're here to cause trouble or not." Rei said, leaping down in front of the Hollows. "Hey, you with the horns." She called.

The Hollow leered at her. "You smell tasty. And you're a Soul Reaper. I will eat you!"

Rei stood firm. "Why are you here?"