chapter 13

Chapter 13

“Guys! I’m so bored!” Ashlen whines.

“I know!!” Lila groans and swings her legs over the arm rest and her head was in Luke’s lap. I start to bounce my knee, causing Ash to go up and down. 

“I know what to do!” Luke exclaims.

“WHAT?!” we all yell.

“We go out to the store and buy a ton of silly string and have a war when we get back.” He tells us.

“Guys I don’t have my money, remember.” Ash sighs.

“Don’t worry Ash, we have money.” Lila chuckles.

“What time is it?” ash asks.

“2:10, why?” I tell her.

“My dad is normally at work until 6:00. It’s risky but we could go to my house and get my things.” Ashlen’s voice is soft when she suggests the idea.

“We have about four hours until he does come home so this could work, what do you think Drew?” Luke speaks up.

“I-I guess we could.” I stutter.

“I can’t fit everything I need in one suit case though.” She whispers.

“It’s ok we can all bring ours and you can use them.” Lila chimes in.

“Yea, now let’s stop wasting time and go.” Luke says and we all get up. We rush to our cars and hop in. Ashlen gives me the directions to her house while Luke and Lila follow behind us in Luke’s truck. Once we get there I find a small home, it almost looks deserted.

“I’m sorry the place looks like crap. There is no telling what the inside looks like now since I’m not here to clean up after him.” Her voice is low.

“Ash it’s ok, we know why, it’s not your fault. It’s his.” I tell her reassuringly. She nods and we get out. I grab two of the empty suit cases and Lila grabs the other one. We follow Ashlen into the run down house, the inside has dirty clothes scattered across the place stained with beer and tons of beer cans littler the floor. I walk behind Ashlen until we reach her room. It was nicely kept and clean, she had black out curtains, a twin size bed with a white bedspread and purple sheets. She had a dresser in one corner and above her bed there was the word dream above the headboard. It was made from wooden letters from a craft store that she had painted.

I guard the bedroom while Luke guards the front door from inside so if someone went by they wouldn’t be that suspicious. Lila and Ashlen run all over the place from the bedroom to the bathroom and back to the bedroom. I watch as they place clothes and shampoo etc. into three of them and leaves Ashlen’s own suit case for personal items like the dream letters, Ashlen grabs a photo album off her dresser and places it into her own suit case along with a few note books, a small baby blanket, a couple movies, phone charger, headphones and an IPod. She grabs a bunch of other things and I take the full suit cases to Luke, he puts them in his truck. Luke takes her dresser out to the trucks.

“Hey Ash, we still have about two and a half hours. If you want we could take you bed probably.” I suggest.

“Could we?” she asks hopefully.

“Yea, Lila go get Luke to get his tool box out of his truck and lets get to work.” I tell her. Ashlen takes off the covers, folds them, and takes them to put in the back seat of Luke’s truck. In the time it takes her to do that Luke is helping me carry her mattress down and we put it in the bed of his truck. We start to disable the bed frame while Ashlen takes down her curtains and carries them to the trucks. In less than an hour and a half we had the bed frame taken apart and into my truck.

“Ok, do you have everything you think you can’t live without? All your clothes, everything?” Lila asks

“Yea pretty sure.” She tells her and we all get into the trucks. We stop at the store for Luke’s sake and get twelve cans of silly string. We go back to the pack house and I get Alex, Sterling, and Josh to help carry in the bed frame and mattress. Ashlen gets two suit cases and I get the other two. I lead Ashlen to her new room that was the next room down from mine it was saved for when I found my mate it was to be hers. Now it is, it will no longer be empty.

Luke and Sterling where already starting to set up her bed, “Hey Ash, where do you want it?” Luke asks her.

“In the corner.” She says and points to the back left corner.

“How do you want it facing?” he asks her.

“Head board up against the left wall and the left side of the bead up against the back wall please.” She tells him.

“Okay.” He grins at her specific details and I chuckle to myself. Her and Lila start to put her clothes away in the dresser and closet.

“Hey Ash, do you want the DREAM above your bed?” I ask.

“Yea Center it above the bed on the black wall please.” She tells me before placing the photo album on the dresser.

“Ok, I will be back in a second I am going to go get the hammer and nails to hang them.” I tell them then walk out to the work room. I grab a hammer and nails to hang the letters on from their black and purple ribbons. I go back into the room to find Ash fixing the bed sheets and bedspread. I climb onto it beside her as she sits cross-legged and leans back onto the head board. I start to measure it all out and hammer the nails in. we hang the letters together then flop back onto the bed, pulling her down with me. I hold her waist tightly and she places her head on my shoulder.

“Do you want to go set dinner, or are you even hungry?” I ask her.

“I’m not hungry.” She yawns.

“Want to go to sleep?” I chuckle. She nods and buries her head farther into my shoulder. “Come on, you should at least put on pajamas, you put yours on and I will put mine on. I’ll be right back, ok?” I tell her.

“Ok.” She mumbles and starts to get up with me. I walk out of her room as she starts to get her things together. I go into my room and grab a pair of pajama pants, not bothering with a shirt. I swagger back towards her room to find her snuggled back against the wall in pajama shorts and a t-shirt that was ripped down the sides with a tank top underneath. I slip under the covers beside her and she snuggles up to me. I hold her like she would fade away if I didn’t, like this was all a dream and I would wake up to her not there and I would be in my bed. I watch as she slips into a deep sleep. I tuck a strand of loose hair behind her ear,

She smiles at my touch and I can’t help but chuckle. She shifts her position at my side to where her back was pressed up against my chest, her head on my arm, and I reposition my other arm to where it was wrapped around her waist again. Finally I drift off into a dreamless sleep.