chapter 6

CHAPTER SIX –

ASHLEN”S POINT OF VIEW:

I sit on Lila’s bed as she pushes her brother out the door. I can’t help but giggle at the two. This is an old school, so how could she possibly have a closet? “Hey Ashlen, follow me.” Lila pulls me through a door and into a walk in closet that was about half the size of a regular school room. I gasp at how large the closet was. “They’re this big because we had to split rooms in half and make them into closets.” She explains.

“Wow! All of this is yours?” I ask.

“I have more at my real house.” She admits. All I do is shake my head and laugh.

“Do you have anything that will cover my bruises?” I ask.

“Yea wait just a minute.” She grabs a bunch of long sleeve shirts and a few pair of jeans then walks back out to her room. I follow and scan the shirts that she has laid out on her bed. I end up with wearing a navy blue hooded long sleeve with New York written across the chest in white and a pair of faded jeans with my trusty black converses after taking a shower. We walk out to find Drew leaning up against the set of old lockers in front of the door.

“Come on let’s go eat!” he exclaims and we all walk down the hall together. We exit the back of the building to where a bunch of cars were parked. Lila walks off to I am assuming her car as I follow Drew to a faded red pickup. We get in and he starts it up, “Hey, I’m sorry about earlier, I didn’t mean to scare you.” he says softly as we pull out of the small parking lot.

“I-its ok, it’s not your fault.” I murmur. I look out the window the whole way there but I could feel his eyes on me every once and a while. Country music was playing softly from his radio as we drive down the road. When we get there before I could even unbuckle I find my door being opened by Drew. “Thanks.” I say with a shy smile as he helps me down. We walk over to where Lila was leaning against her black jeep.

“So you guys finally made it hum?” she chuckles.

“Haha, very funny Lil.” He rolls his eyes and we walk in. We are seated and they take our order, I get the cheapest thing, A small bowl of regular chilly. I can’t spend all of their money, it’s not right, even if I hadn’t eaten a full meal in a weak before yesterday when Drew had brought me the McDonalds. I eat the chili slowly making it last, taking sips of my water as I go.

“So how many brothers and sisters do you have?” I ask.

“It’s Lila, our younger brother Josh, older brother Alex, and I that still live here. Lila’s twin sister died a few years back, her name was Leslie. Then our oldest brother Sterling lives a few towns away.” Drew informs me. I nod in respond.

“Where you an only child?” Lila asks me.

“Not really, I had an older brother but he moved out the day he turned eighteen. Didn’t look back, never bothered to contact me to see if I was alright. He might as well be dead because that’s all he is to me.” I sigh.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she mumbles.

“It’s ok, his name was Miles.” I give a small smile.

“Oh.” Lila gives a shocked gasp as I said his name. I see a worried look on Drew’s face and start to panic.

“What’s wrong did I do something?” I ask worriedly.

“N-no, but we do know what happened to him.” Lila says with a hollow quiet voice.