chapter 11

Chapter eleven

I plop my tray of food down beside Ashlen’s to where Sterling was directly in front of me and Ash was to my right. I start to eat as Sterling gives Ashlen worried glances. Finally he speaks up, “So you two are dating?” Sterling asks. We both nod like crazy since our mouths where stuffed with food. “Cool, cool.” He chuckles and I clear my throat.

“So Sterling, are you just here for a visit?” I ask personally curious.

“Actually I was here to talk to you.” he says in monotone. Right then I know something is wrong with one of the packs as his grip on his fork tightens to where his knuckles are white. I nod and he starts to draw on the table with his finger. My phone buzzes in m pocket and I jump, forgetting it was in there.

‘Do I need to leave? To give you and Sterling time to talk?’ it reads.

‘No, it’s fine, we’ll talk later. And how did you get my number?!’ I chuckle to myself before I send it. How did Ashlen get my number?!

“I have my ways.” She chuckles.

“Lila?” I question.

“Maybe.” She giggles. I roll my eyes and finish off the food on my plate. A few seconds later Ashlen is done too so I take both of our plates and dump them.

“Hey Ash, I’m going to go talk to Sterling. It will only take a little while, do you want to go find Lila or something?” I say hugging Ash’s waist.

“I think I’ll go hang out in the lounge.” She informs me.

“Ok.” I smile. I kiss her forehead and she walks off with pink tinting her cheeks. “Come on let’s go to my office.” I tell Sterling as we start to walk out of the cafeteria. Once we reach the office I can’t help but to feel nervous. I sit behind my desk as Sterling takes a seat in front of me. it’s silent for a minute until he clears his throat

“Drew, I have important news. You won’t like it.” He states the obvious.

“Go on.” I tell him with an eyebrow raised.

“Do you remember Uncle Jackson?” he asks.

“Yes, what about him?” I question now completely worried.

“He’s, he’s dead.” He stammers.