Chapter 8

I went to the bathroom and turned the water tap, waiting for it to fill up the bathtub. I watched it flow out from the tap and hit the tub. It may sound weird, but I liked the sound, the smell and the way the crystal clear flow rushed swiftly from the shiny silver faucet.

As it slowly filled, I turned to look in the mirror. It had been a long while since I examined myself this closely. I looked at the girl in the mirror; her bluish green eyes were cold and emotionless. Her long wavy hair that tends to hug her body and the flawless skin that was as smooth as a doll. She hadn’t changed much from my memory. I sighed, as I doubted she would ever change in the future.

I took off my clothing and undergarments and threw them aside. I closed the tap when the tub was three-quarters full. I got in without checking its temperature. I loved the feeling of my body sinking into the hot, steamy water with a rose scent; it calmed me down and made me forget all about the stressful day. I closed my eyes and inhaled the air deeply, when the memories started to engulf me.

I remembered clearly when I was a two-year-old newbie vampire when Max and I had a small race for fun. I ran so fast that Max looked as if he saw a ghost. It was priceless. I laughed at him for being so slow. But he gave me a dead serious face in return. That was when I discovered my special talent. Then, years later I went to all sorts of fighting competitions around the world. It was basically one on one fighting. Max strongly objected about me participating in the competition because it was extremely dangerous and could even have caused death. I begged him forever and finally he let me go. One win and you earn a sum of money. I didn’t really care about the money, but I loved the bullets of sweat that formed on my forehead and at the side of my neck. I loved the way I fought with them, and looking at their face, full of fear. It gave me the feeling of strength. And the more I fought, the more I was addicted to it. But the more I was addicted to it, the more I lost my human emotions. I still remember the very first time I killed a human because of the uncontrollable bloodlust. When I gained my conscience, I was terrified. I felt as guilty as a murderer. And I actually pitied that human being.

But after a long period of time being a vampire, our concept or thoughts of killing a human were changed. We no longer felt sympathy for them. Instead of killing humans, I chose to take part in the competition. It helped to improve my skill, and more importantly, it was illegal.

“EVE! It’s already been twenty minutes, are you drowning or something? Do I have to come in and save your butt from bathtub?” Max shouted across the door impatiently, constantly knocking.

I grunted softly as I repositioned myself, “Max! Stop knocking on that damn freaking door for God sake! And it’s only twenty minutes! I remember you used to use the bathroom for one hour!” I couldn’t help but chuckle when the little memory came into my mind. He actually fell asleep in the bathtub and he dared to have a go at me?

He stopped knocking the door and stammered, “I-I’m just making sure you are still there. Fine, go ahead and stay there as long as you want.” I could hear his footsteps retreating. Oh gosh, I wish I could see his expression at that moment! He must be blushing like a tomato! That would be classic!

I quickly washed off as I exited the bathtub. I wrapped the towel around me and sped to my closet. Mmm, what should I wear? Something girly? Or something hot to match the street racing? That’s what happened if you have too many clothes in your closet. You don’t know what to wear. I decided to close my eyes and randomly pick one out. It turned out to be my favorite one. I grinned happily from ear to ear. It was a short black dress, which fitted my body perfectly. Not too girly, not too hot.

Beep!

Geez, can Jess be not so accurate all the time?

Kyle POV

A bet was definitely not a good thing to do, but two hundred bucks was too attractive to deny. It was between Jason, Aaron, and me. The bet was whoever was able to make Eve fall in love with them and of course, with proof, would win the money. I knew it was bad to do that. But for the money sake, I didn’t care. After all, I was still a player.

The first time I met Eve Smith, I was stunned by her beauty. She was beautiful, like an angel from heaven. With her sparkling warm blue-green eyes, that seemed to look into my soul, and her wavy brownish hair that matched her eyes, she looked so adorable. For some strange reason, I felt we had met somewhere before. I tried to recall, but all I got was a sharp pain at the back of my head.

Now the game was on, however there was something I really needed to worry about. I was afraid I’d already fallen in love with her, even before the game started. I never used to believe in "love at first sight" before I met her. I always thought it was just a romance drama that you always saw on television, and in real life, there is no such thing. I knew "love" is a big word to use, but the feeling was true. The feeling that you wanted to protect her for the rest of your life, the feeling that you wanted her to stay happy forever, and the feeling that you wanted to hug her, kiss her and adore her. Your feelings couldn’t lie.  

I sighed and wondered how I was supposed to continue the bet if I was already in love with her? Act like a normal guy who tried to flirt with girls? But what if she found out of nowhere that it was a bet? Anything can happen nowadays. God, I'm so confused right now. Never in my life, had I been in such a difficult situation like this. I knew that I was a player and I never took a relationship seriously before. And what if Eve was a human? I couldn't be with her all the time. I couldn't imagine myself looking at her growing older all the time, while I stayed the same, looking at her helplessly. I heaved a sigh of relief earlier after seeing her timetable and realized that she was actually a vampire.

I shook all the thoughts away from my head and got back to reality. Being a vampire had lots of advantages. Unlike humans; we had super good hearing, eyesight and sense of smell. We tripled all the 5 senses and that can be good, but annoying at the same time. Good in a situation like this as I could hear the conversation between Eve and her friend, Jessica. A smile formed at the end of my lips as they were chatting about street racing.

Because, this meant I would have a chance to meet her there.