Prologue

Copyrighted © 2011 Eileen Cy.

All Rights Reserved.  

I snatched the wine on the table and drank it eagerly. I couldn't believe myself. How could I have let go of that newbie accidentally? I felt so ashamed! I was a vampire that was over a hundred years old and that vampire was barely ten! How could I have let it go? My long nails tapped on the bar table continuously in annoyance as my blue-green eyes scanned through the crowed blankly.

“Hey, Eve, how’re you doing?” Max asked, before he pulled out a chair beside me and sat down gracefully. Max was my best friend, even before I became a vampire. He helped me overcome all of my troubles when I was a newbie and also taught me a variety of fighting techniques to defend myself from others when I was alone.

Max was extremely handsome. He had light-blue eyes which almost looked silver; blonde messy hair that made him look sexier and well-defined abs that could be seen through his white, translucent, V-neck tee shirt. Wherever he went, every girl married or not, would drool over him. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some sort of attraction towards him.

Placing my wine on the table, I hissed, “Go away.”

“Wow, someone isn’t in a good mood,” he raised his hands in surrender, then put them down and chuckled at my expression.

"What happened, Kitty? Who made you angry?" He laughed; the sound deep and rich. Slowly, he went to pat my head. I swatted his hand away and shot him my deadliest glare.

"Max! Stop patting my head like I’m a child!" I scowled.

"You’re a child to me," he pointed out, raising his eyebrows.

A sudden wave of sadness washed over me when he said that. I didn't want him to treat me like a child. I wanted him to treat me like a woman. I kept a straight face so he wouldn’t know how I felt. I rolled my eyes and snorted, “Whatever." I knew that there was no point in arguing with him.

"Kitty, you haven't told me what happened," He said accusingly.

"Well, I tried to kill some bastard, but I missed, and he got away," I pouted.

"Oh, I see..." He chuckled again whilst playing with the glass on the table.

I sighed and leaned against the chair, thinking of what to do next to get rid of my boredom. Suddenly, an idea came to mind. A sly grin slowly formed on my face as I thought of a plan. Oh, dear, this is going to be real fun, I thought to myself.

Max gave me a curious look and asked, ''Kitty, what’re you thinking?''

“Secret,” I simply stated, not planning to tell him at that moment.

''Come on, tell me, Kitty.'' I found it harder and harder to resist telling him as he gave me the whimpering, puppy face that always weakened my resistance and stubbornness.

And yes, I told him. I gulped as I looked at his cute face and wondered how such a handsome man, who could pass as a twenty-two years old, could make an adorable, childish face. It was so unfair! I bit my lip and debated if I should tell him about the idea. I figured that since it wasn't anything dangerous, I could tell him.

"Mmm… Is it possible for me to test my ability?" I asked softly, looking at his expression at the same time through my dark, thick eyelashes.

"Ability? Which ability?" He pondered, raising one of his eyebrows.

"The ability of changing a human to a vampire," I said and gave him my sweet smile that I knew no one could resist, not even him.

"Why do you want to do that?" He scowled.

"Cause I'm bored." I mimicked his scowl.

"That's stupid. But if you insist on doing it, I have nothing to say," he replied and made his usual ‘I don't care’ face.

"Really? You’re not going to stop me or give a lecture about how it’s a bad idea blah, blah, blah?" My eyes widened in surprise. Wow, that was something new. Usually, whenever I wanted to do something stupid, funny, or ridiculous, he would scold me in the way a parent would and give me a long lecture. He would take almost half of the day to say what’s right and wrong. To me, he was wasting his saliva on that lecture because at the end of the lesson, I still didn’t get what I did wrong. But when I said I wanted to test my ability, he didn't say anything. Weird.

"Are you trying to tell me that you want my lecture?" He smirked.

"No, no, of course not! It was really anno-" I quickly shut my mouth when I realized Max was glaring at me. 

"What? I was trying to say a not-so-bad lecture," I lied, eager to cover my near insult.

"Really?" he asked putting on a familiar ‘I don't believe you’ face, which goes with his "I don't care" face.

"Yes! Anyway, can I ask you something stupid? Please don't laugh at me…'' I bit my lip nervously.

''Maybe, maybe not. That depends on how stupid the question is,'' He said and smirked again.

''Fine. How do I use the ability?'' I whispered, hoping he couldn’t hear me.

''EVE! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!'' Max burst into laughter so hard that I could almost see tears forming in his eyes.

Well, I guess I really did ask a stupid question. Seriously, it wasn't my fault. Even though I was quite powerful compared to others, I didn’t go around making use of my vampire ability to change humans for no reason. Neither did I act like some bad-ass vampire in a novel. Okay, maybe I did. I liked to bully weak people to show off, but I’d NEVER done the bite before.

After waiting for several minutes for Max to calm down, I decided to leave. When I stood up, already turning, Max grabbed my wrist.

''Sorry, I didn't mean it,'' He apologized.

''It’s okay,'' I said rolling my eyes and sat back down.

''Blood exchange,'' He answered, trying to hold back his laughter.

''What?'' I was confused.

''Actually, just drink their blood and insert the venom from your fang into their blood. Then, let them drink your blood,'' Max explained.

''How do I insert it?'' I gave him an innocent look, while my mind started to play those bite scenes we saw in vampires movies.

Max slapped his forehead before asking, “Are you really a vampire? Or do you fake it?” I knew he was joking, but I felt a sting of hurt.

''I-”

''Okay, you don't have to try anything because once you insert your fangs into their neck; your venom will automatically flow in. Anyway, I’ve got to go to one of my friends’ party now. See you soon.'' Max looked at his watch and left the bar with vampire speed.

''Wait-'' I tried to stop him but he was too fast.

I sighed and left the bar, too.

The street was cold and lonely, as it was only half past four in the morning. Hmm, where should I go try out my experiment? Suddenly I heard footsteps behind me. I turned and saw a small figure walking unstably towards me. Good, this solved one of my problems.

I put a killer, sweet smile on my face as I approached the figure slowly. I found it was a guy around eighteen to nineteen years old. My grin widened as I realized it made my experiment a lot easier than I had anticipated. The teenage boy had messy, dirty blonde hair and sparkling, midnight blue eyes. Wow, that was rare. Sadly, he was my only prey.

The distance between us was getting shorter, by which time my vision had gotten clearer so I could see his beautiful face structure. It felt like a waste for him to become my lab rat. I wasn't even 100% sure that he would become one of us.

He was drunk, which made it easier. God must have loved me. I used my vampire speed to cover his mouth and pushed him to the nearest, narrow alley. I licked his neck, smelling the blood flowing in his vein. Blood was like a drug to us. The more we smelt it, the thirstier we got. My throat tightened, my fangs extended, and the desire for blood grew rapidly. Without hesitation, I tightened my grip on his mouth and pierced my fangs into his neck. Hot, sweet liquid flowed into my mouth. I could feel the venom in my fangs make an exchange with the guilty pleasure and transfer into his blood stream.