Chapter 5

Haley P.O.V.

"Come on Draco it doesn't take that long to get robes." I say under my breath. I had been standing outside of "Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions" for about 30 minutes, if you didn't include the time I spent going to get ice cream. I sighed and leaned my head against the window. I adore Draco, I do. But some times he can be so rotten and overall just hard to deal with. Especially when it comes to getting ready and picking something out, he can be worse than most girls. I blame Mr. Malfoy for Draco's more...unpleasant traits. I mean he would not be so picky and stuck up all time if his father did not encourage it.
Luckily, Draco has me to keep him in check. It makes me sad and angry if I do say so myself, to see him behave so rubbishly, because I know he is better than that.
I look down at the ice cream in my hands and take another lick of the rich sweet substance. Butterscotch has to be my favorite flavor. I wiped the sides of my with the sleeve of my shirt. I always forget to grab napkins. I hear the creaking noise of the door opening and expect it to be Draco. But instead I see small boy around the same age me walking into the shop. His green eyes, that were rimmed by a pair of circular spectacles, were sparkling with excitement and awe. His dark brown hair almost the same shade as mine in an unruly mess. I begin to have an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach as the door closes behind the boy.

When Draco finally exits the store we decided to check out Magical Menagerie, a shop where creatures of all sorts can be seen, sold, or brought. The doors chimed as we made our way through the store. The first thing I notice is the smell. It was an earthy smell. A healthy mix of dirt, wet animal hair, and manure. I didn't mind the sent all to much, but of course Draco did. Putting one if his hands to his nose and waving the other in front of his face obnoxiously. I shake my head chuckling as we weave our way through the small crowd that had gathered in the store. It was particularly busy seeing on how other kids were out shopping as well. People were looking at the small exhibits with animals such as rabbits, toads, owls, cats, dogs, parrots, and other animals, some of which I've never seen before.  

"I'm not sure why you wanted to come here badly." Draco scoffs, "It's way too crowded and dirty, not to mention it reeks."

"If you don't like it here that much why did you decide to come with me in the first place?" I asked, as I bent down too look at the iguanas underneath a lamp in a small glass exhibit. 

"Because...I uh..to protect you! From thieves and such, Diagon Alley is full of them."

"Why would I need you to protect me?" I giggle, glancing over my shoulder. "Last time I checked I was bigger than you. Maybe you're the one who needs protecting?"

"You're only taller then me by 3 centimeters! That hardly counts! And of course you need the protecting, you're the girl, duh!" 

 "I'm I girl? Wow! I haven't noticed! And last time I checked I wasn't the one scared of little mice." I shoot back while cupping a small lizard in my hand.

"It wasn't a mouse it was rat!"

"Oh big difference!" I say rolling my eyes.

"And I wasn't scared either, in fact I'm not afraid of anything!" That's when I toss the lizard onto Draco's chest. "Ahhhhhh!!!" He screams, grabbing his collar trying to shake it of his shirt.  

"Not afraid of anything, aye?" I laugh scooping the small creature back into my hands before releasing it back into it's cage. 

"That wasn't funny!" He hisses crossing his arms over his chest, a flush of red washing over his cheeks.

"It kind of was" I retort. And with that he stormed off through the crowd of people, a stream of curses leaving his lips as he did so. "Wait! Where are you going? I't was only meant as a joke Draco!" It was to late however and he was already at the far side of the shop heading out the doors. I turn around and let out a frustrated groan. Maybe I did take it to far... but he is always just so dramatic! It drives me crazy! I kick a small pebble on the ground, and it skids over the floor until it bumps against a rickety shelf in the corner of the shop. On top of the shelf  was a bronze cage with small owl in it. The beast was no more then a foot tall. With a pale heart shaped face and shinny black eyes. The rest of him faded from a brownish amber that started on his back into a soft white. I walked closer ever so carefully not to startle him. He looked at me tilting his head to his side as I did so. When I was just below the creature I began to lify my hand up to the cage.  I guess I may have been going a little to fast because he let out a small screech and ruffled its feathers. I paused my hand and waited for it to regain its composer. After a few moments I began again this time at a much slower pace looking that bird as I did so. I had to stand on my tip toes seeing on how I would have been to short to reach the cage otherwise. I stopped when my hand reached the cool metal, holding in my breath as I did so. The bird looked at my hand then back to me before slowing placing his head against my fingertips. A flood of relief washed over me and I was able to let go of my breath. I smiled and trialed my finger along the side of his head as the animal began to make small cooing noises. And in that moment in the midst of the busy store I felt calm and that everything was going to be okay...and I suppose that is why I gave him the name Frieden, which stands for Peace.