30. Epilogue

My footsteps echoed off the linoleum as I entered the shop quietly. I lifted the key atop my head, dropping it with a clink over my collarbone. The shadows of the walls curled around my vision. "I see you finally stopped by," a voice murmured.

I whipped my head around. Petra dropped her hand off the entryway door, letting it slide shut with a shwff. The woman flicked on the lights. "I- I'm sorry," I blurted, flushing. "I thought I could-"

An explosion of flowery scent filled my nose, and I stumbled back a few steps as Petra hugged me. She buried her head into my chest, tightening her grip on my shirt. The room was alight with color, flowers filling the shop to the brim. "You're welcome anytime," Petra whispered.

In the back of the shop was an office area, though it didn't seem like it so much as it did a café. The amber woman led me to a pair of chairs. I sat, feeling the scratchy cloth on the armrests. "I figured I should just use the key," I explained.

"I just so happened to run into you as well," Petra laughed. "What a coincidence." Her china doll face grew sad, although a hint of a smile lingered. "Thank you for the story, Eren,"

A soft chuckle left me. "I almost don't know what to do with myself anymore."

"I was just about to head to the bar. Care to go with me after some tea?" I nodded. Petra rose to brew some- as if we were anything but American. "Eren," the other mumbled. "I feel as if you were incredibly depressed for over a year. But, that, for what reason may be, your illness has lessened a bit."

"That might be true," I replied.

"Forgive me if I'm wrong, but maybe retelling your story gave you an inch of closure? If I'm wrong," she paused to laugh sadly, "then by God, I don't know my friends."

I stiffened. It had been a few weeks since I had told the story of my college years. It had taken revisiting my younger self to realize how bad my situation today had become. Closure. That was what I needed.

"Well, shit," Petra cursed. "I'm all out of tea." She turned to me. "Cut to Titanic?"

I stood, agreeing, and we left Florist Ral's as quickly as we had come to it. It was dark out, dark enough for the moon's reflected rays to illuminate the streets. Petra's hair blew like ginger fire against the moon's flames. She wrapped her corduroy jacket tighter.

The familiar warmth of the bar kissed our noses as we entered the building. Hanji and Pixis waved from the counter when the two of us neared our usual stools, and we greeted them.

"What'll it be?" Four-eyes asked, winking. Brown hair curled wickedly around her goggle-like glasses. She wore her usual shirt and blue jeans, pressing a fist holding a pump to her hip. "Got'cha," she grinned, knowing from our gazes.

I watched the foam fizzle out in my glass as she sprayed root beer in it. Soon enough, the cup broke out into a sweat. It reflected Levi's watch on my wrist as I crossed my arms over the counter. A drop of condensation dripped down, off the glass, soaking into the wood.

"I like your ring," a shy voice uttered to my right. I glanced over. A small woman about my age beamed. She cocked her head, sending wavy, chin-length hair askew. Its brown complimented her amber-colored eyes. "You aren't married yet? It's on your right hand."

"No, I never got the chance," I muttered with wide eyes.

The lady's large eyes became worried. "Why? She find someone else?"

"He's dead."

"O-oh." She blanched. "Oh. Oh, my God, I'm so-"

I laughed. This seemed a little like deja vu. "Nothing to apologize for. I accepted his death, and I get that a lot."

The woman visibly relaxed. "Oh, okay, then. Well, my name's Hitch! How about you? You look nice enough."

Why do I always attract the girls with an abstract sense of manners? I thought in exasperation. "Ah, Eren. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you! Eren, huh?" She giggled. "Your fiancé must have been lucky to find a guy like you, with your cute looks."

My chortle was more forced this time. I tried to smile through furrowed eyebrows. "Thanks, but it's truly the opposite way around. For real."

Hitch's eyes widened with curiosity. "Eh? Someone you were lucky to find with cuter looks?! Care to tell me about him and how you two met? I love stories, and I've got all night!"

I could've sworn I heard Hanji and Petra stifle a noise. My eyes darted to the black watch. 6:59 p.m. Recently, I'd began to set up a sleep schedule. It honestly helped me get through the day. My brain was already beginning to fog up with fatigue, so telling a story would be an inconvenience, to be honest.

My hands lifted off the counter. "Well, it started when we were in college, almost four years ago. I was running down a hall..." And thus, I told the tale of Levi and me.

E N D