Chapter twenty nine

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

DET. MORRIS

The sounds of the commune members searching for us had gotten progressively less but we stayed situated in the cave the rest of the day, fearing every rustle of the leaves was the members closing in.
George and I huddled to the back of the cave and sat closely whilst whispering our wishes and dreams. I had whispered so much lately I'd almost forgotten how to speak any different.
'When I was younger I wanted to be a policewoman so much, I was intent on it throughout school. After a while I seen that detectives were the way to go to really get the bad guys, just as I'd promised my ten year old self.' I whispered, closing my eyes and imagining how I felt receiving my detectives badge.
'When I made detective everyone was surprised that someone as young as myself made it so high so quickly. It wasn't long before I was put on the Correction Killer case, and met the terrifying truth behind all those missing persons. I thought it was all over when Aiden's father was arrested.' I scratched the bottom of my lip with my teeth to get a hold of myself before I would cry while George rubbed my back as a consoling gesture.
'They've taken a lot of your happiness, Frieda. I'm sorry you've gone through all this.'
'I'm sorry for you too, I can't imagine being kidnapped and beaten like you had.'
George sniffled a little then made a type of don't I know it kind of grunt.
'I had no one back at the city, just strange friendship with my dealer and landlord, I figured that I was taken for a reason, and deserved what was given to me. When I was given a chance to repent I guess I felt like it could make me happy. Little did I know how crazy it would turn out.'
'I don't understand, strange friendship?'
'Oh, yes, I'd spend all my money on oxy and then split it with my landlord and we'd all snort it and get high and talk about absolutely nothing.'
'Sounds like we wouldn't really be friends in the real world, George. I have the urge to arrest you just hearing that.' I silently giggled and George followed suit.

I did believe that we wouldn't have had a second glance at each other in the real world, and would have never spoken to each other for any reason, but we were friends now, and hopefully we would both escape alive to tell our stories.
I wondered if anyone noticed Jerry and I were missing, and how long they would have looked. My mind raced with pictures of everyone's faces, sad, scared, without their loved ones. I tried to hide the physical pain I felt for humanity from George but he knew something was wrong. I hated this situation, I hated this cave and the reason why we were here in the first place, I hated Gabriel and everything he created, and I hated his followers who never questioned his motives.
'When we a free..' I began to grit my teeth as I whispered to George, staring into his dark, wide eyes.
'I want to take them down. I want to make sure each and every follower gets what they deserve and more.'
'That means Johanna too, right?' George lowered his head, defeated by the thought of her.
'She is no different to all the others.'
'Yes! She is so much more then them all!' George hissed and his body tensed in defiance.
'We can't have this conversation right now, George. Calm down, I know you love her but she is a killer as well, and if she were here now she wouldn't hesitate to take us both down.'
'I don't believe that.' George crawled closer to the opening and watched the sun set whilst not looking back at me, angry and upset about our argument. I stood my ground, however and was not going to change my mind. She took the life of someone special to me, and I was never going to see her for anything other than what she was; a cold hearted murderer.

The suns orange rays sprayed across the rocky floor before falling behind a mountain, leaving us with the cold breeze and dark shadows. We decided on moving from the cave soon, and as the last speck of light faded from sight my heart pounded faster in anticipation to the journey ahead.
'Just like last time; we run until we see something familiar.' I whispered, clenching my fists in preparation.

The moment we started running, I was scared. I tried to look around for any signs of the commune members but it was all a blur passing behind me. We ran up back in to the forest and the direction we hoped was an exit. The trees howled as the icy wind hit my hot cheeks with every stride. My breaths were fast and hasty, I couldn't calm myself enough to take deep, long breaths, so it hurt with every lungful.

The crackling of leaves and twigs breaking beneath my feet had a sudden stop and I felt hard rocky ground hit my heels. I immediately stopped almost tripping George in the process, at first he was confused, but was elated when he looked down to the rocky gravel road under us.
We jogged on the side of the road so that we could jump into the ditch to hide if we needed too, but it felt good to be closer to true freedom. The road twisted and twined, turning up and down hills and sharp corners, some moments the road would just be dried mud and others it was gravel again, but once we found ourselves on the large straight road outside of the forest I could finally take a deep breath.

Soon we would be in the town and all this would be over, once and for all. We took a short break to quickly catch our breaths and steady ourselves for the road ahead, hopefully we would be in town before sunrise, and the commune raided not soon after.

That's when the headlights of a truck came into sight from behind us. The light grew and lit up the entire road. We quickly threw ourselves into the bushes and tried to lay flat and hoped it would pass.
It didn't.
The truck stopped and the sound of its brakes scraping to a halt shook my inner being. I squeezed my eyes closed when the sound of the trucks door screeched open before the thump of boots hitting the gravel.

==========================================================

Sorry! That's the end of the chapter!
This chapter is dedicated to the one that won't give up. "Have you written anything yet?" She says. YES EB, I HAVE! Hehe :)