Chapter fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

DET. MORRIS

My hands were shaky holding the pen that would soon be used to end my marriage, all I had to do was sign my name. So why was I struggling so hard?
Marian and I were married only two years, but we're together for five years before that. I had only just gotten into a good routine of things, and my post traumatic stress was under control. My life felt as if all was falling into place when I met her. Most of our life from then on was spent together, and after a crazy night of fun and never ending drinks, we were married.
Now this thin black, ink filled piece of plastic was going to end all of that. I placed the papers on the coffee table, finished my coffee and went to work, I had to find the courage to sign it when I got home.

Arriving at work was normal, just how I liked it. Only this time Sasha and I were seeing each other in a whole new light. After the night we spent together, and Sasha confessing that it was a date she had taken me on, we were smiling and flirting constantly. Whenever she was filing paperwork, I would find an excuse to make copies of something just to be closer to her, and we would giggle like little school girls finding each other for the first time. We kept things down low, so our jobs remained intact. The door would close in the filing room where the photocopier was and the fun would begin.
'What are you doing tonight?' Sasha whispered, fixing her blouse.
'Staying back late, manning the hotline to record any August sightings. Why?'
'I thought we could do some sculpturing of our own at my place tonight.' She purred as she fixed my collar.
'Just come to my place when you're finished here, I'll be awake.' Sasha winked and then left the room with the door open, making me actually have to copy something.

Most everyone had left the precinct by six, and I was alone by a telephone. Not many calls had come in since the news stories died down. I looked down to notice myself scribbling on paper, I was writing Sasha's name over and again. I smiled at the thought of being a teenager again, then placed it in the shredder, watching that one piece, turn into a million smaller pieces on the bottom. The phone rang.
'Ah, yeah is this the hotline about that August fella?' An older country accent over threw the line.
'Yes, you're speaking with detective Morris, how can I help?'
'Ah, yeah I can see the fella right now at the fete I'm at.'
'Can you tell me your location please, miss..?'
'Ah, yeah, Mrs. Burberry, the August fella has his wife with him, and they're lookin' mighty strange at this other couple!' Her voice crackled over the sound of an outside restaurant.
'I just need to know your location Mrs. Burberry?' Could this really be them?
'Sorry detective, I'm in Richard Farms just west of that country town, Haden.'
That was the right direction we suspected August to be, and had all county officers aware.
'Ah, detective? The August fella and his gal are following that other couple out, my husband is getting ready to follow too.'
'Mrs. Burberry, don't you worry, I have officers on their way and you tell your husband to stay where he is and remain calm, we can't have you put yourselves in any danger, okay?'
At first there was no reply and just muffled voices.
'Mrs. Burberry, are you there?' I held my breath.
'Ah, yeah sorry 'bout that, my husband is hard of hearing, got him back and told him the officers are coming.'
Thank god.

Officers reported back that multiple fete goers had also recognised Aiden and Johanna August and I told them to let the county know I was going to be there in a few days. In the meantime tonight to try and look in the direction they were last seen heading. Of course they didn't find anything. I rang jerry to let him know we were going back to the country first thing in the morning. He was understandably reluctant.
I drove to Sasha's house feeling a mix of emotions. On one hand we had s true lead, but on the other I had to spend time away from Sasha, which really wasn't something I wanted to do.

I pulled into the driveway of a large two story townhouse that boasted a wide set balcony over a garden of all different types of flowers. I checked Sasha's directions and this was definitely her house.
I made my way up the stairs to the balcony and before I could knock the door swung open revealing Sasha. I had never really seen her in anything other than professional wear and it was strange to see her in the silky pyjamas that fitted her slim body in front of me.
'This is where you live?' I whispered in amazement as she led me into the parlour.
'I do quite well for myself.'
'I think I'm in the wrong line of work!' We laughed and she led me down to a massive garage that had been transformed into a work shed. It had scattered art supplies and bits and pieces of random junk and furniture.
'I wanted to do a cast of your body.' She pointed towards the failed attempts of casts that were obviously her own.
'What do I do?' My voice sounded weak and shy. She made me my insides tremble with excitement.
Sasha barely said a word as she took off my clothes and led me to lay onto what looked like a doctors examination bed.
I lied there quietly as she tenderly rubbed the petroleum jelly all over the front side of my body. After that she started dipping sheets of gauze in warm water and slowly placing them across me, overlapping to make a thick cast. Each piece dried fairly quickly in the five minute range, but the whole process took a while. I didn't mind though, I laid comfortably as she touched every region of my body.
Once Sasha carefully lifted the cast off she placed it on the tarp sitting on the floor and looked at it awe, inviting me to as well.
'I hoped my stomach would look flatter in the cast.' I was genuinely disliking looking at my body from another point of view.
'Don't be silly, it's perfect. Let's get you showered!' Sasha skipped up stairs and I followed her to a large bathroom that's shower took up half of it. The way the water rushed down onto me was heaven.
I walked into Sasha's bedroom to find her waiting for me in bed.
'I have to leave for a few days tomorrow' my throat tightened in discomfort for changing the mood.
'To the country?'
'Yes. It's a definite lead.'
'Then let's make tonight last!'

It didn't feel like morning when I woke up to no sun, but I had to leave early. I picked up jerry who was already waiting in his front yard so his family wouldn't be woken. He smiled as he got in, rubbing his hands to warm them up.
'What's so funny, J?' I snorted
'You spent the night with someone. I know it.' I tried to hold back a big smirk to no avail and we both had a laugh. He was in total shock when I told him who I had been spending my time with, he always found Sasha attractive.

The drive was going to be another long one and we were both going to take turns driving to get there faster, this time felt right. We were on the right track and hopefully not too late before the next Sunday that we had him in custody.
============================================================
The DET. Morris chapters are a bit mushy I know, but I want her to be happy before.... Oops almost spoiled it! Hehehehe
Anyways, vote, share etc.