Chapter twenty eight

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

JOHANNA

Everything and everyone was frantic. Gabriel was even woken to be told the dreaded news, everyone felt so assured that it was impossible for the filthy people to escape, but two had, and one of them was a detective that would have the police swarming the commune in no time. Aiden told me to pack our bags just incase they were not caught.
As i filled our suitcases and bags, realising i had more than i came in with, i listened to Gabriel and Aiden argue downstairs for which direction to take next.
The sudden slam of the front door stopped me in my tracks and look out the window. Aiden quickly stomped across the commune in so much frustration i could almost feel the vibration of every step.

'Why are you packing, Johanna?' The sudden voice of Gabriel surprised me and made me jump before quickly twisting to face him, standing without his wheelchair again.
'Oh, Gabriel, yes, Aiden said to do it as a precaution.'
'Precaution? that boy runs from everything, cant even find the perfect wife i told him to.'
'I'm sorry, what do you mean?'
'You, Johanna! you were supposed to make things different, but instead you cause more trouble. He stays in that ungodly city because of you, he doesn't get his work done properly if he is worried about you, and you cant even stay loyal!'
my lips purse from the memory of Georges kiss, but how did he know?
'I've let a lot of things slip since you have been here in hopes that it will all work out, but i'm afraid you've run out of time.' Gabriel wipes the spit formed on the corner of his mouth then proceeds to pull a blade from his jacket pocket. I stumble back from fear, i had never seen a blade meant for me before.
'Please, my heart is for holy corrections only, i will do anything to keep our religion alive, i will try harder, i swear!' i blubber through my quickly formed stream of tears.
'Just say a prayer, Johanna, it will all be over soon.' Gabriel tightens his grip to the blade and steps closer. I lower myself to my knees and close my eyes in preparation for the end.
i feel Gabriel's presence hover over my weeping body and he caresses my hair before placing the blade to my neck. In a flash I'm reminded of everything i have ever cared about and don't want to die by the blade of a madman.
i try to push the knife away as quickly as i can and Gabriel stumbles, i take this as my chance to grab the knife from his cold, callous hands but he holds on so tightly we were left in a stance. We both try to dominate each other and the blade swaps from my chest to his, both of us trying to be the victor.

In a sudden rush of energy the blade is pushed through Gabriel's chest. He stumbles back and tries to breath only to have his mouth fill with his blood, i quickly rush over to hhis fallen body and comfort him.
''I'm so sorry, Gabriel! none of this was meant to happen! Please i hope you can forgive me and find peace wherever you go.' i whisper through my tears and his failed breaths.
''Filthy heathen, you will never find happiness.' Gabriel's final words spat blood to my face before he fell completely limp and i sat up to catch my breath.
That's when i realised the blood dripping down the top of my dress and i feel around to find that my throat had successfully been sliced without me noticing, with that, i fell back to the ground with the thump of my heavy body the last thing i heard.

I would occasionally awake in short moments of consciousness but everything was a blur so i couldn't make anything out. Distance voices echoed my name but i couldn't hear it well enough to know who it was. I wanted to stay awake, and get to safety, but every time i woke, i was quickly pulled back into unconsciousness, awaiting for the next time to try and communicate with someone.

Once I was finally awake I found myself in the commune truck with Aiden driving and Tom in the passenger seat. I immediately reached for my neck to find it had been bandaged.
I sat up to see we were still in the forest.
'What's going on?' I croaked, the pain intensifying as I spoke.
'Thank god you're okay! I thought I might you lose you!' Aiden cheered, almost losing control of the truck.
'What happened?'
'The entire commune has split up. Some had been planning with grandad to end everyone's lives if the commune was ever in danger of being lost. But some stayed strong and wanted to keep looking for the escapees. Not many got out though.' Aiden's voice grew weary.
'How many survived?' My voice weak and desperate.
'Just us and five others in the forest still looking. Everyone was murdered, even the children! The chamber was wiped out, and hall was filled with so many that died for our freedom.' Aiden hit at the steering wheel with almost every scorned word he spoke.

The familiar feeling of tears welled up in my eyes and rolled down my dirty cheeks. As we drove through the trees I silently said a prayer for everyone that had been lost by the hands of those who lost there way.
Life was about to get so much harder, and not knowing what the future held scared me, and Aiden, I could see it in him. I sat up and started to scan the area as well, the only way to start piecing the commune back together was to find the escapees, George and Frieda.
'We will find you.' I whispered to myself.
=====================================================

Omg! Well that's another chapter done! The massacre wiped almost everyone out! What next?!